i got a surefire L2

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
well i broke down and did it. i got a real good deal at $135 for it. i am happy with the output but not the throw. i know that 5 watt leds tend to not have throw, but overall the best light i have.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
good choice on the l2 thats what my dads first surefire was. did you get yours from a local dealer or was it used i tend to find good prices like that at my local dealer.

again great choice

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
dimlight said:
well i broke down and did it. i got a real good deal at $135 for it. i am happy with the output but not the throw. i know that 5 watt leds tend to not have throw, but overall the best light i have.
I see you did not do your homework!

L2's and L4's are floody walls of light! IMHO, these are the more useful lights out of surefires lineup. If you wanted throw, you should have went with a L5, L6, U2, etc.

It will grow on you, the L2 lights up so much area, its great! A narrow beam that throws a long way isnt that useful to most people most of the time.

BTW, you got a great deal!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, if you want throw, you don't want a Lux V light, at all! Lux IIIs will give you the best throw, of the LEDs, but if you want real throw, you'll have to go incan.

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
i got it from the gun shop in town. i looked around and thats the best price i have seen. i hope i grows on me,because i really like my sportmens warehouse 3 watt. it has ton's of throw and is very bright and runs on rcr123a,not as bright as the l2 not near as bright.my l2 will not take my powerizer 3.0v rcr123a's i have.i did look it up at flashlight reviews but i didn't think 28 on throw was so little.

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
the L2 was my introduction to flashaholism. I loved it at first, but soon got addicted to enormous throw (a stage many new flashaholics go through) and sold my L2. I soon grew into a more well-rounded practical mindset and missed the useful beam and awesome output of my L2 so much that I bought another. IMHO, it can't be beat for flood/runtime/output in one package. Hope your L2 grows on you as much as mine has on me.

Josh

magic79

Enlightened
The L2 is my favorite light, and the one that sits on my nightstand.

It is not a throw light, which makes it perfect for a "bump in the night light". I have used mine a couple of times for just that purpose. Once, it turned out to be a small piece of trim falling onto the deck at 3am (scared the daylights out of myself and my wife ["honey...find out what that noise was!"])! The other time it was just creeking and settling.

Both times, though, it was nice to light up the entire hall with the flood.

The low level light makes it a great camping light too.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
Yep, I really love my L2. I do a lot of nighttime walking. My A2 is my favourite for this with it's good throw and wide corona and spill, but I want the bright flood of the L2 to easily survey an area for potential hazards. I also find it great for camping, carrying in the car and it is my night stand light because its bigger size is easier to find.

I regularly use the blue filter to give it a third useful level and because it has less contrast to the black background it doesn't disturb anyone.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the L2 more than any other SF I own, though I don't own the U2. I really like the beam and the long runtime on low, plus you can use a rechargable battery which is nice.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i really like the L2... its a VERY reliable flashlight... i am anoyed by its lack of throw and its anoying rechargeablity

Spade

Newly Enlightened
I have thougth long and hard about it, and the L2 would be the choice if I could have only one... as long as I could always find cheap batteries.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the L2 run on a Pila 168s or 17670? I know I've read this a zillion times before, but I've never made a mental note of it.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was informed that the L2 will run on 17670 quite well with extended run time but has fitting issues which I will soon find out about. I was told a light sand will allow a non protected 17670 to fit in.

SCblur

Enlightened
The 17670 will not fit in any L2 new or old. It will take more than a light sand to get it to fit. I bored mine, and it took more than two hours of work, much more than I had anticipated. I get great runtime from the 17670 though. Just be careful not to damage the electronics, as they are at the end of the battery tube instead of inside the head (like the L4).

The L4 has a slightly wider hotspot than the L2. In outdoor tests between my two lights, my L2 throws slightly better than my L4.