Victorinox Aluminum Grip?

ychang

Newly Enlightened
I just saw ads in Outside magazine of Victorinox Aluminum Grip flashlight. I checked online, there are AA, AAA and C cell models of this Swiss Army LED flashlight and in the price range of $20 to $45.

There are no detailed information on the SwissArmy website as lumens, run time, etc. Just some general description.

Could anyone who has these flashlights share some information as how does it compare to the Maglite LED in terms of light quality? How is the build quality?

carrot

Flashaholic
And they're also considered to be a pretty good value. I haven't seen any comparison between the Victorinox flashlights and MagLEDs, but I would expect the Victorinox lights have better output due to having better heatsinking.

Fenris

Enlightened
The Radiant series by Inova is a plastic light, so going from that to an all metal light, like the Victorinox, would more than likely mean better heat transfer.

Or so you would think.

zapper

Enlightened
Fenris said:
The Radiant series by Inova is a plastic light, so going from that to an all metal light, like the Victorinox, would more than likely mean better heat transfer.

Or so you would think.

Only if it is contacting the body. The Dorcey super 1 Watt (1xCR123) is simply a star in a plastic holder with no contact to the all metal body at all. The Mag LED drop in's are all similiar examples of LEDs in plastic towers with no contact to all that wonderful aluminum head and tubes. So one would hope but can not be certain until some generous soul in the name of sciece buys one and dissects it for the good of all!!

Fenris

Enlightened
Like I said "or so you would think". I don't own one so I can't say much.
I do however own a recently departed Dorcy and although the star is in a plastic holder, it still transfered heat rather well.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
carrot said:
And they're also considered to be a pretty good value. I haven't seen any comparison between the Victorinox flashlights and MagLEDs, but I would expect the Victorinox lights have better output due to having better heatsinking.

Despite having bought a 2AA version 3 days ago, I can't really say anything about its performance...... Mine was a POS that never should have made it past QC. I broke the lens and tossed it down a sewer. Will be buying a new one soon to see if I got a rare lemon.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenris said:
The Radiant series by Inova is a plastic light, so going from that to an all metal light, like the Victorinox, would more than likely mean better heat transfer...Or so you would think.

The Radiant series has plastic exteriors over metal tube interiors. They also have vented "gills" in the heads to help with dumping heat by radiation and convection.

yekim

Enlightened
I have a 2aa radiant. I don't think it has ever gotten warm. I am not a big fan of how it is put together, take the rubber bezel off the front and the tube comes out the plastic housing.

BUT

Despite its faults, it has the cleanest, best looking, most beautiful hot spot of any light I have ever owned. Before i gave it to my kids, who scratched the lens a bit, it had a flawless beam and the hotspot was sharp.

If they still has the cookie cutter beam, the Victorinox lights might be on my buy list. A 2c sounds perfect for around the house and property.