Pineapple Head - True contactless Continuous Dimming

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE 4/19/2007

Well, I think I accomplished something that was never implemented in a flashlight: true contactless continuous dimming.

Here is a short video that demonstrates it, what you see there is a 5mm led for brightness reference, and the contactless selector ring, this ring and the base that holds it are the same size as the body of the pineapple head.

The video (1.5mb divx file)

At the end of the video I remove the selector ring so you can clearly see that I made no tricks :D

UPDATE 2/7/2007

Here are some pictures of the 3D prototypes, they are still in the USA, I should receive them by the end of this month:

pinehead11

pinehead12

pinehead13

pinehead15

pinehead16

this one shows the ring upside down just to show how it would look, to be clear what you see at the bottom of the body+ring goes in the top and the porta reflector threads there.
pinehead14

Parts fit as expected. Im happy :)

UPDATE 1/18/2007:

Here are some pictures of an updated look design:

pinehead09

pinehead08

And let me introduce my idea of a versatile system:

pinehead10

You can use the selector engine with any porta-reflector I develop in the future, this ads freedom regarding new led and or reflectors.

For the McR27L I will use a Cree XR-E and for the McR38 a Seoul P4.

UPDATE 1/13/2007

pinehead06

pinehead07

Im fine tuning the innards, and then I will work on finetuning the looks.

UPDATE 1-10-2007

Here is the first public rendering, please keep in mind that this is still early in the development stage and this picture only shows the selector and by transparency the unit guts.

pinehead05

What you see in the picture is the knurled selector ring wich obviously needs a little more styling :) the light engine in orange with the ring of hall sensors. The reflector part is not modelled yet, but as I said before, it will use a McR27L reflector. The green part is the magnet.

All parts are new design, this means the LE is different from the ones you know or have, one thing I can say now, its design allows ANY led to be used regardless of its focal point, slug height or dome shape.

More to come as time allows, I just wanted to post this so you all know that I'm working on this.

ORIGINAL POST
As I promised in the pineapple body thread here is the technology preview of the upcoming pineapple head.

The head will sport a selector ring like the one used in the Surefire U2, at this moment it has 4 settings: Low/Med/High/Strobo but I may end up adding a 5th function

The head will use the highly acclaimed McR 27L reflector and a premium U-Bin Lux3 led

Since Im one man show, I decided that in its first encarnation, the driver will use a LDO for current regulation but no step-up/down functions, meaning it will be powered by rechargeable li-ions.

In its second incarnation a buck/boost driver will be added in the ecuation allowing the head to be used with a broader range of power options: 1 or 2 lithium primaries or one rechargeable li-ion

This driver is controlled by a microcontroller and levels are managed via PWM.

The on/off will be handled be a McClicky (mechanism, body will be custom made by me and its e-series compatible) in the tailcap, so you can use any level you want momentarilly or constantly.

I created a small video that shows the prototype selector in action, you can see there the 3 levels and the strobo, the low level is so dim that is difficult to catch it on video, but trust me, its there between strobo and med :)

As I said many times, last time a few lines above :D, Im a one man show, so please don't put pressure on me for release dates, I first need to finish the pineapple bodies run, after that my focus will be on this head.

Without further ado:
the video (divx 2mb)
Now also hosted in Youtube

I hope you all like it

Pablo

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pineapple head, technology preview

Oh well, there goes next year's vacation!! Great stuff here!!!

Karl

Nell

Enlightened

Must not get excited, must not get excited.
Are you kidding, the bodies are being machined, and the heads are in development and I am already looking forward to the second version head. Trouble in brewing in Argentina. I like it.

dirkp

Enlightened

looks cool . i would take them

Norm

Retired Administrator

I'm in for one black please Pablo.
Cheers Norm

Topper

Flashaholic*

I can't see the video :ohgeez:
I have no doubt it is great but I can't veiw it.
Can I pay for it/can I afford it??? what is the projected price on this.
Thanks
Topper :)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, selector ring - that's impressive, nobody else has managed to pull it off! Very interested.

Norm

Retired Administrator

Topper said:
I can't see the video :ohgeez:
Topper :)

Try right clicking select save as, download to your desktop and try viewing it from there.
Norm

wquiles

Flashaholic

Super nitido!

Este projecto se ve muy interesante ;)

Estas usando un magneto, verdad?

Will

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes it uses a magnet and some hall sensors, all controlled by a microprocessor. I have one pin left in the uC, I guess I will use it for battery monitoring so unprotected li-ions can be used also (overdischarge protection)

Thanks for the nice words :)

Pablo

McGizmo

Flashaholic

PEU,
I couldn't get the file to play or open either but even without the visual, it sounds great!! :thumbsup: