Who here uses alternative fuel transportation?

Do you use alternative energy for transportation?

• Yep

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Would if I could

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since my "Who uses biodiesel?" poll went over like flatulence in a crowded elevator, I thought I'd broaden the question a little bit. "Alternative" fuel can mean electricity, biodiesel, alcohol, natural gas, etc. I'm sure there are a couple I've missed. If you've stopped driving a car and started riding a bicycle, that'd count. A plug-in hybrid would count, a normal gasoline powered hybrid would not. However, if your hybrid burns biodiesel or alcohol or whatever, it would.

Hopefully this one has a better turn out, and hopefully I've phrased the questions so as not to exclude anyone. :buddies:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I walk, ride a bike, use buses (many of which are already converted to run on LPG instead of diesel), and use the subways (electrically powered via third rail). None of these use conventional gasoline. I'll grant that some of the buses may use diesel, and some of the power for the subways is undoubtedly generated via fossil fuels (either diesel or coal). Never drove at all. On extremely rare occasions I bum a ride off my mom or brother if I need to go somewhere and there's just no other way. My transportation decisions were initially more about saving money than energy independence or not using gasoline. Turns out they're good decisions in those areas as well. Provided decent load factors exist, public transportation uses less energy than autos, regardless of how the energy is generated. Biking and walking have health benefits quite apart from their other advantages.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't even have my own vehicle now so I get around mostly by walking but I also do use public transportation (CNG buses) whenever possible. I've been interested in Alternative Fueled vehicles for a while ever since taking a CNG fueled Airport Shuttle van back home from LAX after visiting Hong Kong about 8 years ago. It first began as an intrest in being able to operate an engine on something else other than gasoline then it became one of my decisions on enviromental impact. I've ridden a few times in an electric vehicle as well (twice in a Honda EVplus and once in the EV1) courtesy of someone I knew from church who worked for the SCAQMD.

I've been thinking about purchasing a used natural gas CNG powered vehicle for a while (Ford F-150 pickup) but my Father wants to get a SUV that has a letter "H" in the name and ends with "er" and I'm supposed to drive his old Corolla for a while.

david_594

Newly Enlightened
I have a tdi and run B20 in it regularly(we just got a pump in the area) and I run B100 in it whenever I have the chance.

Fun car, good fuel economy. Its hard to beat. I have a vintage scooter I keep dreaming about converting to e85 so I can up the compression way up... but its not in new england yet.

BVH

Flashaholic
I walk and at work, drive a Hydrogen hybrid Prius using a modified internal combustion engine, not a fuel cell. I also drive CNG Civics.

cy

Flashaholic
I'd use bio-diesel, if it was available in my area

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 2003 VW Golf TDI (diesel) and have been using 100% biodiesel now for about 3 and half years. I figure we travel about the same miles we ever did, but we've cut our use of petroleum by 75%.

See more at www.itsgood4.us

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been riding my recumbent bicycle to work for the last 5 years. Built up an electric scooter last summer and have learned alot about battery performance, motors, controllers and how to break them :D

My latest project is to merge all the "stuff" I have laying around, season it with a little more technology and see what happens. Really want to see what a 48V 35 amp brushless motor will do when run through a continously variable planetary rear hub...figure at least 35 MPH or so. The Fallbrook Technologies CVT hub (91% efficient) and should work well on hills, head winds, dirt roads etc. Initial build is running it all at 36V 35A with a AGM SLA 12AH battery pack. Return to the states and see how a 48V 30AH LiFePO4 battery pack plays out. Viola! An "electric moped".

Meanwhile, I spin the cranks and my recumbent gets me there.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Hi!

My parents converted their Corolla to using natural gas. My Mom calculated that it will pay of in about 3 years. As we kapt our last car for 12 years, this investment is likely to pay off.

A more interesting project ist the 20 year old VW T2 van of my brother. He has converted it to run on 100% plant oil, which is very cheap in the Netherlands. He pays about 45ct per litre. Currently, he stores about 700 bottles in our basement.

All he needed to do is heating the oil with a heat excanger from the cooling water, to make the oil more liqid. He also has a 5 litre canister of diesel fuel in the boot with an electrical valve which he opens to start the engine.

When he is in holydays and he needs to refuel, he gets always strange looks from the supermarket personell when he fills his shopping cart with about 60 bottles of plant oil:grin2:

Illum

Flashaholic
Alternative fuel....sounds like Darell's specialty

Id wait until the technology has progressed to a point where the prices arent as high to begin using the technology...for now, just use the gas guzzlers only when necessary...

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
My thoughts exactly I.T.N.!!

I bike to work in Downtown Chicago every day of the year, snow, rain, wind, whatever. I'm in it, and much happier than when I drove to work (talk about frustrating) or took the train (a lot of people in a little space that don't want to be going where they're going!).

But that's me, and I'm hard core. The winter beard has already begun!!!

john