dorcy 1 watt 3 d aluminum light, for k2 mods

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
dorcy 41-4250 three d 1 watt, i got two of them when target had them for like $6. i put 3 watts in them and wow. they have a ton of throw real tight spot with ok side spill. do you think the new k2 would be worth it.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Do the Dorcy's have adjustable focus? I read in one post that they produce a better beam(Very uniform) compared to the mages but that people don't really know you can mod them like the mags.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this flashlight have any resistors? If it does I would sugguest that you remove them if you go with a k2.

What is the bin code of your Lux III LED?

molite

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of dorcy 1watts I picked up at target too. I've been seeing lots of 1 watters on the market cheap. I've been picking them up for future mods when my skills improve.
I guess they are dumping them everywhere. I suspect manufactures are getting rid of them because 3 and 5 watts will be hitting the average brick and morters soon.
So I been getting them im hopes of modding them with k2's
How hard was it to swap for a 3watt? was there soldering to be done?
did you buy the whole star or just the emitter?
I've also picked up some coast lights at the dollar store.

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
they did have a resistor, i took it out when i put the 3 watt's in, they do not have a adjustable focus. and the bins are tvo?w, and syakw.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some UYAN k2's that I have used in some mods and will say that the 3 watt LED that you have will put out more light with the 3 D cell configuration. I drive my k2's a little harder then they should be and it does put out much more light compared to my U binned lux III at a cost of more power though.

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
the k2 should put out more at the same power right. what is the deal with the k2's. 3 watt's 80 lumens k2 130 lumens.any info you have please give, because i am getting ready to buy some stars for mods.

havand

Enlightened
luxIII is 80 lumens at 750ma.
k2 is 100 lumens at 1000ma.
k2 is 130 lumens at 1500ma (1.5A!)

I'd be willing to bet if you can get a VF low enough that the output from a luxIII and k2 are probably similar at the same CURRENT level. Don't quote me on that though, it's just a guess. However K2's have a higher Vf in general.

EDIT:

Haha, i'm sitting here contemplating that, while i have the k2 datasheet open..Just not realizing it. :lolsign:

SO, link to datasheet

k2 at 750ma eyeballing it looks like ~75-80% of 1000ma output, so something like 75-80 lumens?

Now, i don't know how the Vf will fall down from the rated @1000ma, but it will fall a bit. Overall, the luxIII is probably still more efficient though. Infact, i'm really pretty sure it is. I'll let an expert chime in on that one though :)

Last edited: