Have you ever thought about this for SF A2

wuyeah

Enlightened
A2 is probably one of the popular amoung SF line up. I truely love it but.....

Can someone explain why Aviator/Pilot needs super low brightness such as 3 lumen??

Because......i am thinking.......What IF SF.....

Change the A2 LED to 3 3watt LED, isn't this A2 will be Super bright wall of light that is much more powerful than L2?? and you push farther, it will keep its monster throw ability?

Is it even scientifically possible to be done?? I just can think battery drain will be a big issue.

IF is possible, A2 will be a super light!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's pure marketing BS!

Pilots don't need no ******* flashlight! Does any of you really believe there is no lights in the fricking cabin? You think aircraft engineers are stupid to let pilots in the total darkness? We are not in the WWII folks...

It's marketing people. The Lincoln Aviator SUV wasn't design for pilots either.

I was wondering if Surefire comes up with a new Model called "Astronaut A3" and people gonna say:- "yep, astronauts use this light to navigate around the spaceshuttle 'cause those NASA engineers were too dumb to put lights in the damn thing".

SCblur

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
It's pure marketing BS!

Pilots don't need no ******* flashlight! Does any of you really believe there is no lights in the fricking cabin? You think aircraft engineers are stupid to let pilots in the total darkness? We are not in the WWII folks...

I was wondering if Surefire comes up with a new Model called "Astronaut A3" and people gonna say:- "yep, astronauts use this light to navigate around the spaceshuttle 'cause those NASA engineers were too dumb to put lights in the damn thing".

You sound pretty certain there. I'm a commercial pilot, and I use a light all the time when flying. One of the first things you learn as a pilot is to always plan for the worst and hope for the best. Electrical systems can fail, and when that happens you're left with a pitch black cabin. Always have a backup. And that goes for more than just lights. I always keep a trasciever w/ me in case the radios fail, and I always have an alternate airport if any closures occur at my destination. I always carry more fuel than I anticipate needing, etc. "One is none, and two is one." is quoted by members here from time to time, and it's true.

Second, many older planes have inadequate cabin lighting. That is, there is instrumentation lighting to illuminate the instrument panel, but not much else if you are trying to read an A/FD (airport facilities/directory) or God-forbid, trying to read an approach plate.

Third, many planes that do in fact have good cabin lighting only have white light. It is important to keep your eyes night adapted when flying so you can scan for other aircraft, see airports (yes, they're sometimes very hard to find when hidden among city lights), and in the event of an engine failure, quickly find a suitable emergency landing sight. For this reason, it's important to have some source of red light, or other night-adapted color.

Then there's the issue of pre-flighting at night, refuiling at night at an airport w/ no lights on the ground, looking for stuff in your flightbag in the dark.

Trust me, pilots use flashlights. Even in a plane that is well equipped and well illuminated, any pilot with common sense and half a head will keep one or two flashlights in his flightbag. When you fly, you quickly learn that it's all about margins. The bigger your margin of safety is, the better off you are.

===============================================
EDIT: I almost forgot. Here's a clip from the FAR's (Fedaral Aviation Regulations)

Sec. 121.549 - Flying equipment.

(b) Each crewmember shall, on each flight, have readily available for his use a flashlight that is in good working order.

Last edited:

a99raptors

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
It's pure marketing BS!

Cockpit lights can fail if I am not mistaken. I think a light is also needed to look at the tail of an aircraft for inspection.

EDIT: Looks like SCBlur beat me to the reply by 2 nanoseconds. :)

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
:lolsign:

You are all suckers! Airplanes don't exist and are just a marketing pitch too. This of course means that pilots don't exist either so SCblur made everything up... very convincingly I might add!

These capitalist companies can be very creative in marketing their products. Be on your guard.

-Goatee

SCblur

Enlightened
:)> said:

You are all suckers! Airplanes don't exist and are just a marketing pitch too. This of course means that pilots don't exist either so SCblur made everything up... very convincingly I might add!

These capitalist companies can be very creative in marketing their products. Be on your guard.

-Goatee
:laughing: LOL, you found me out!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

-Goatee
Yeah, Pilots wouldn't be able to fly planes without carrying an A2! Thanks SUREFIRE, now pilots are safer.

Those 'capitalists' are really trying to improve our lives! Without those nike sneakers, I would never be able to play like Jordan, now I can... Thanks NIKE! Now 'I've just did it!!!'

batman

Enlightened
WHen I was in Civil Air Patrol pilots flying the C-172 ALWAYS had a mini-mag incase cockpit lighting went dead at night,..this was the late 90s b4 many people knew about surefire.

greenLED

Flashaholic
wuyeah said:
Change the A2 LED to 3 3watt LED, isn't this A2 will be Super bright wall of light that is much more powerful than L2?? and you push farther, it will keep its monster throw ability?
I disagree on several fronts:
- a Luxeon driven at 3W is not brighter than the stock incan
- "wall of light" is something we associate with LuxV lights
- The L2 uses a LuxV, not Lux III
- In general, Lux LED don't throw as much as an incan (or it doesn't appear to by our eyes) - and, yes, I know some LED lights throw like crazy too.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
It's pure marketing BS!

i agree (wouldnt have used the choice word though)......... but the name sounds cool :)

-David

greenLED

Flashaholic
SCblur said:
Here's a clip from the FAR's (Fedaral Aviation Regulations)

Sec. 121.549 - Flying equipment.

(b) Each crewmember shall, on each flight, have readily available for his use a flashlight that is in good working order.
Isn't there something to the effect ofthese flashlights having to be of a minimum brightness too? I seem to recall somebody mentioning a "2 cell" standard a while back, but that's prety vague, IMO (and if my recollection is accurate). I've seen flight attendants with minimags and SF e2e's.

Pyle-IT

Newly Enlightened
The FAR says " 2 D cell or equivalent" I think my A2 meets that requirement. As a side note i have asked our companies POI (FAA inspector) about it and he said the 2D cell phrase was from so long ago it is a mute point. That these days most flashlights exceed the desired level of output and runtime, However he could not find anywhere that stated amounts of output or runtime that the FAA seeks.

Illum

Flashaholic
well...i've never been a pilot..nor will i ever be one, but from the pictures of cockpits...all the switches and toggles are illuminated correct?

I've once made a visit to a friends house and slept over, his illuminated keyboard in his room paired with my eyes adapting to night vision i can make out the details in the room. im pretty certain the room is at least 4 times as big as a cockpit, but if the cockpit has 4 times or more of the illuminated "keyboards" than the room I was sleeping in....thats alot of light just by itself

Im pretty sure having a flashlight is essential as part of gear, but using one continuously....is probably not that frequent unless your flying a single engine prop in the dead of the night..

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Yeah, Pilots wouldn't be able to fly planes without carrying an A2! Thanks SUREFIRE, now pilots are safer.

Those 'capitalists' are really trying to improve our lives! Without those nike sneakers, I would never be able to play like Jordan, now I can... Thanks NIKE! Now 'I've just did it!!!'

I wasn't trying to be throw you under the bus, I just saw an opportunity to be funny. I am sorry that it was at your post's expense.

Peace bro.

-Goatee

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England

-Goatee

BAH!, you're *ALL* figments of my imagination, the voices in my head *TOLD* me so, and they *NEVER* lie...
;)

AlexSchira

Enlightened
The only reason we can't fly OR see in the dark is because psychology doesn't exist.

Join Scientology today! We'll make you see in the dark! Tuition costs begin at 500, 000 Euros for every month of spiritual education, prices may inflate as your judgement weakens, we are not responsible for any ill effects of eating placentas.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED, I think that wuyeah was thinking of replacing the trio of 5mm LEDs with a trio of LuxIIIs, while you were thinking of replacing the incan with a single LuxIII.

IMHO, replacing the weak 5mms with Luxeons would be pretty cool, especially if they had variable output. That way, the centered incan could be for throw and color rendition, and the Luxes could be for a nice close-range flood.

So, does anyone want to mod their A2? :whistle:

marxs

Enlightened
is it even possible to get 3 luxIII emitters that close a proximity to each other like the 5mm's are? i doubt it if your planning to keep the bezel the same size.

mark