My FENIX IS DIEING!

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
I've had my L1P for about a year now, and it's started flickering like mad and refusing to turn on at times. I've cleaned the contacts and changed the batteries, and it's still not helping. ANy ideas? or should I get a new much better ligfht? Thanks!

Last edited:

thezman

Enlightened
Re: My FENIX IS DIEING! (please move thread, sorry sorry sorry)

Make sure the retaining ring that holds the clickie switch in the tailcap is tight.
It is the aluminum ring with two holes in it that you see when you look in the tailcap.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Re: My FENIX IS DIEING! (please move thread, sorry sorry sorry)

thezman said:
Make sure the retaining ring that holds the clickie switch in the tailcap is tight.
It is the aluminum ring with two holes in it that you see when you look in the tailcap.

No good :)awman: ), it didn't help when I tightened it, and it still has the same problem. I checked pretty much everything, and so far nothing has turned up yet.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the switch! Some had it fail here (my father too). You should contact your dealer! If it's 4sevend or lighthound they may replace it without any problem!

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
WildChild said:
Maybe the switch! Some had it fail here (my father too). You should contact your dealer! If it's 4sevend or lighthound they may replace it without any problem!
good idea, but i don't like the fact that I would have to replace my switch every year (I want something more reliable if that is the case)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not clear from reading your post if you've tested the light by shorting the battery to the back of the body (bypassing the switch). If that doesn't flicker, then it is a tail cap problem of some type.

4sevens will no doubt replace your switch if the switch is the problem. The fact that your first switch failed in 1 year doesn't necessarily mean that your replacement will. It might last forever so I think it's worth trying a replacement before you give up on the stock switch.

Remember: 1) many other Fenix owners haven't had problems with their switches; 2) lots of Surefire owners with bad switches have been happier with their replacements; and 3) I didn't give up on Krolls until I had 2 in a row fail me and even that might have been just my luck...

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
It's not clear from reading your post if you've tested the light by shorting the battery to the back of the body (bypassing the switch). If that doesn't flicker, then it is a tail cap problem of some type.

4sevens will no doubt replace your switch if the switch is the problem. The fact that your first switch failed in 1 year doesn't necessarily mean that your replacement will. It might last forever so I think it's worth trying a replacement before you give up on the stock switch.

Remember: 1) many other Fenix owners haven't had problems with their switches; 2) lots of Surefire owners with bad switches have been happier with their replacements; and 3) I didn't give up on Krolls until I had 2 in a row fail me and even that might have been just my luck...

Just tried that, it's definately not the switch

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send it back to me and I'll check it out.

Did you have a battery leak? Even after you clean it up, something it
still keeps corroding the contacts. :p

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
4sevens said:
Send it back to me and I'll check it out.

Did you have a battery leak? Even after you clean it up, something it
still keeps corroding the contacts. :p

Sorry to say, but I didn't buy it from you, I never had a bettery leak in there (I change them frequently cause they're rechargeables). Thanks for the help anyways:), I'll try to see what's going on with it for the moment.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
It's officially dead now, I turned it on this morning, and it wouldn't light up, did the whole process of checking everything, just won't turn on (sometimes shows up very very very very dimly, and doesn't stay on for long, even on fresh batteries:awman: ) looks like i need a new light?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
D@rk Messenger said:
Sorry to say, but I didn't buy it from you, I never had a bettery leak in there (I change them frequently cause they're rechargeables). Thanks for the help anyways:), I'll try to see what's going on with it for the moment.

It doesn't matter. I'll still service your light. Email me if you're interested. :D

Gary

Newly Enlightened
PeterSundelin said:
Now that´s what I call customersupport!!!:rock:
And it's effective.
I know who I'm buying my next light from,
even if he is on the wrong side of the border.

-Gary

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
D@rk Messenger said:
...never had this kind of customer service before...
...and you're not even a customer...:drool:

Fenix should give 4sevens some kind of award for providing OUTstanding support for AND promotion of their entire product line.