This beam is made for walkin'....

lightrod

Enlightened
What is it about some beam patterns that make them better than for general outside use walking in the woods, on a path or road, etc? I've been curious about this as some of my single cell RCR123/CR123 lights (my primary collection) have been much more preferred in that situation than others. I took some time to try and see why, beyond the fairly obvious fact that lights with a lot of emphasis on throw do not make very good lights for path use. I know for the most part this is pretty useless stuff (if the light works for you who cares why?) but there may be some diehards with interest in this! (Actually if I were to design a light beam from scratch I may want to consider some of this).

Hold a light at shoulder level, say 1.5 meters or about 5 feet, then tilt the light slightly down to the ground at some angle, say 5 degrees (which points the beam center at a spot about 50 feet ahead). What is the brightness resulting from the beam profile as you look at various distances on the ground ahead of you? This can be calculated knowing the beam profile (lux vs beam angle), the height and the angle of the light as held, then "turning the crank" (remember your trig?). I have previously measured the beam profile (lux vs angle from beam center) for each of my lights.

The plots below show this ground brightness pattern for each of several single cell CR123 lights. To normalize the plots and all subsequent data for comparison I adjusted each light's output to 30 lumens. Each plot shows, for each of several lights, the lux (brightness) vs ground distance from you, with the light held at a height of 1.5 meters and an angle of 5 degrees.

What's it all mean? The best beam for walking IMO:
(1) in the standard hold position, provides spill light nearby on the ground so you can see where you are walking. From my experience the closer to 1 meter the better with 2 meters being barely acceptable.
(2) gives a relatively even ground brightness from the beam edge closest to you on out to ~10 meters (~30 feet), with no obvious "hot spot".
(3) does not get too bright in the beam's center when you increase the angle of the light all the way to 45 degrees or so to see the ground very close to your feet. If the resulting spot from the beam center is too bright it can ruin your vision, and be very ineffective as you try to scan the ground right next to you (or a nearby object for that matter).

The Surefire E1L light with the KL4 head illustrates a good (the best IMO) beam for walking. It provides ground light 1.3 meters ahead (very good), and the max/min lux from that point out to 10 meters is only 2. In other words the brightest spot on the ground is only 2 times as many lux as the dimmest. Maximum ground brightness holding the light at 45% is only 35 lux and will not blind you.
The Pierce wide beam is different, but not too bad for walking. Provides some light very close on the ground, although dim out to 2-3 meters. Brightness ratio from 2-10 meters is poor at 3.5. This light is the best for not blinding you as you max out at only 21 lux with the light at 45 degrees.

The Amilite Neo and the Firefly-II are pretty good walking lights in that you have ground light about 1.8 meters out for both (not too bad), with a max/min of 2.1 for the Neo (very good) and 2.8 for the FF3 (decent). Max ground brightness pointing down at 45 degrees is barely acceptable on both at ~80 lux.

The Peak Caribbean, the HDS U60, and the Fenix P1 all have similar "issues". Ground light is a decently close by 1.5 meters or so on all (P1 best), but max/min out to 10 meters is a "starting to get annoying" 3-4 (P1 worst). And ground brightness with the light at 45 degrees is about 100 lux - too much for me!

The Peak Ranier does not pretend to be a flood/walking light but is shown mainly for reference of what a "bad" walking light is. No ground light until past two meters, max/min ratio of 4, and a pretty blinding 150 ground lux if held at 45 degrees. BTW the E1L with the stock KL1 head is not shown on the plot but is AWFUL for walking with no ground light out to 5 meters but with 210 lux when tilted at 45 degrees. Can you spell D-I-F-F-U-S-I-O-N?

The results match up exactly with my prior preferences for reasons I did not entirely understand. And for the throw hounds out there, if you are limited in total lumens you generally can't have much throw with a good walking beam light – no surprise there! If you have lots of lumens available then you can have your cake and eat it too – a good walking beam with decent throw available – ideally as the high level on a two stage. That capability on my E1L with the KL4 head (about 20 lumens low and 100 high with the RCR123) seals the deal for me. Once I'm used to the 20 lumen wide beam with excellent walking beam characteristics, I can see – at least momentarily – WAY up ahead when I blast the high!

The final thing I should note since some of you are probably wondering - the selection of 1.5 meters height and 5 degress for the plots was a reasonable assumption and is a decent estimate of how I carry my own lights, but it's pretty arbitrary. What if I'd used 1.5 meters and 3 degrees, or 10 degrees. What about 1 meter instead of 1.5? Although I can't say across all conditions, I did look at the plots across a variety of conditions. Although the plots can change their look considerably, the relative comparisons between lights does not change much. Almost regardless of how a light is held (within reason of practical use), the best walking lights are still the best.

JanCPF

Enlightened
lightrod,
This is excellent work. I have also often thought about why no other flashlight IMHO comes close to my L4 and L5 when it comes to trail following ability in the woods.

Have you taken into consideration that the light reflected from the path (or objects) further out will have to travel further before it reaches your eyes, and thereby being dimmed more? One could ask "why not just have complete flood" with no reflector/optic at all, but I think the answer to that is the above fact. The ideal beam distribution must be, that at a given angle of the beam to the ground, the amount of reflected light reaching your eyes, from 1 meter is equal to 2 meters, 3 meters ..... 10 meters and so on.

This would probably be very difficult to achieve in a normal optic or reflector, but as you have already pointed out the L4 comes close. The beam profile is a very soft transition from the hotspot to the sidespill, whereas an abrupt transition would be bad.

I hope these ramblings made sense, but in any case I think your work is extremely valuable. :goodjob:

Jan

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the work. My main thought is the variable output lights like the FF3, HDS U60 and U2 have a big advantages. They all have general purpose beam patterns, not too broad or narrow. Couple this with multiple output levels and they're useful for both walking at night at various distances and aiming angles . You just adjust the output level to match your needs.

Depending on the terrain, sometimes you want to see 10 feet ahead, sometimes 100 feet. Without multiple output levels you're totally dependent on the beam pattern, which is non-adjustable. If it meets your needs, great. If you enter a more confined or less confined space, you're out of luck. With a variable output light, you just adjust the output. To me that's the key item, assuming beam pattern is general purpose design.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Lightrod,

Your experiment is highly relevant and useful. It's about time that someone addressed this issue in an intelligent way.

Good work!

Brightnorm

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
What you want depends a lot on where you are. If I am on a familiar trail I do not need to see far ahead. If a trail is really rough I am looking down closer in front of me. If I am moving across undertain terrain or I am not clear on where I am I sometimes need to see further ahead to pick my route.

I tend not to need wide spread so I prefer a beam with more throw. Since I want long battery life and generally only need a low beam it is nice to have different light levels.

Often I use my Princeton Tec EOS headlamp on low and carry my Streamlight 4AA Polypro Luxeon if I need to see far out there. Good combo but the Polypro is a bit heavy for hiking. The high beam on the EOS is not bad but does not compare.

Last edited:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work lightrod. Must have taken a while to do the testing and compile all that data.

My personal observations...
For lighting up a walkway out between 40-70 feet I prefer the oval pattern of many 2,3, or 4 cell incan xenon lamped flashlight with a LOP or MOP reflector.
If I set the oval horozontally it gives me a better idea of what is to the left and right of the path (a big plus in darkened urban areas and large suburban public parks) and if I hold the flashlight so the oval is vertical I get extra illumination on the path closer and farther away than the area I aim the hotspot at. Extra light 25 feet in front of me and extra light 100 feet down the walkway.
In practice I find that there is more than enough spill light from 3 feet out and beyond with this type of flashlight.

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened
One of my favorites for walking on a trail is the Princeton Tec Tec40. It has a very bright but not too tight hotspot, and a very large and bright spill. The spill still lights up your feet when the spot is focused well down the trail, so it is easy to look around down the trail and walk at the same time.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is quite interesting. I find my SF L5 and my custom MilkySpit Optimator (Lux V w/optics) as my best walking lights due to the large, uniform pattern they have. The Optimator is a bit better in that it tosses a wide and far wall of white light, pretty even side-to-side with no clearly discernable hotspot. I'm becoming a believer that the Lux Vs are the best for walking/trail lights, and it appears this opinion is backed up by your data.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Makes me wonder about the PD McLux, beautiful beam with quite large hotspot about twice as bright as bright spillbeam - must also be a good walking light.

paxxus

Enlightened
I'd be damned, trigonometry has a use after all
biggrin.gif

Great work.