dorcy tactical gear anyone have one

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
i have not seen any one talk about it, the metal gear got a lot of talk. it could make for a good host for a k2.

Illum

Flashaholic
possibly the same amount of light....if its DD with 3AAA....:ohgeez:
just different style for an dorcy expansion in marketing....:ohgeez:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can it be tacticool with only a 1-watt LED?! :grin2:

Although I have to say... it IS another light to add to the collection, and I'd love to convert one to use a red emitter and run on one CR123.

TMorita

Enlightened
I'm wondering about this too. Searched CPF for "Dorcy tactical gear" and this seems to be the only relevant thread.

Anyone have one yet? Moddable?

Toshi

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, but it stopped working. I have to send it back to Dorcy. Decent build quality and cool design in my opinion. It is direct drive and an has a Luxeon I star in it. The reflector isn't very deep, so it wouldn't make a good candidate for a CreeXRE emitter. An SSCP4 emitter/star would work well but would probably need some minor height adjustment. An Edison Opto Edixeon KLC8 star would probably work really well as they're supposedly the same height as Luxeons. Although 3AAA configurations aren't a favorite around here, this is quite a decent flashlight and works well with NiMH batteries.

TMorita

Enlightened
ace0001a said:
I have one, but it stopped working. I have to send it back to Dorcy. Decent build quality and cool design in my opinion. It is direct drive and an has a Luxeon I star in it. The reflector isn't very deep, so it wouldn't make a good candidate for a CreeXRE emitter. An SSCP4 emitter/star would work well but would probably need some minor height adjustment. An Edison Opto Edixeon KLC8 star would probably work really well as they're supposedly the same height as Luxeons. Although 3AAA configurations aren't a favorite around here, this is quite a decent flashlight and works well with NiMH batteries.

I'm wondering if the reflector/lens is the same as the Metal Gear?

On the Metal Gear, the lens is friction fit, and you pop it out by pushing the eraser end of a pencil through the reflector hole. So, you can't substitute a glass lens.

Same thing on the Tactical Gear?

Toshi

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
TMorita said:
I'm wondering if the reflector/lens is the same as the Metal Gear?

On the Metal Gear, the lens is friction fit, and you pop it out by pushing the eraser end of a pencil through the reflector hole. So, you can't substitute a glass lens.

Same thing on the Tactical Gear?

Toshi

No the Tactical Gear is different from the Metal Gear despite what other's have guess said before. I have quite a few Metal Gears. I think I tried popping out the lens the way you said, but had no luck or rather I didn't want to crack it thinking I was applying too much force. The Metal Gear's reflector is somewhat deep and works well with both CreeXRE and SSCP4 LEDs. The Tactical Gear's reflector is more shallow. It kind of reminds me of the reflector that comes with the 3AAA Blimp flashlight that DX sells.