Dang! Kroll clickie switch doesn't work with MagLED....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got in 2 kroll clickies' (along with five Nichia 5mm U LEDs) from the shoppe. I was hoping to put one on my new 2AA MagLED and possibly use the other to put in a G2 tailcap to work with my BOG 3W drop in. I tried both of the Krolls, on the MagLED, didn't work. Aargh. Now what can I use these for?

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the contacts on the MagLED tail cap go way down into the body. I don't understand the reason the for that tailcap design. It looks like about 1/2" of completely wasted space in the tail to me. Did they just want it a lot longer than the standard MiniMag to more easily tell them apart or something?

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people have reported success by replacing the replacing the center spring on the switch with the longer spring from the stock MagLED tailcap.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey that works. I'm having intermittant contact issues' though, I'll have to mess with it for a little bit.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
hey that works. I'm having intermittant contact issues' though, I'll have to mess with it for a little bit.
I think the cause for the intermittent operation may be due to the side spring on the switch. On the incandescent MM, this side spring makes contact with the un-anodized thread area to complete the circuit. On the new MMLED, the threads are anodized and there is a bare area just below the threads for contact. I suspect the side spring is just barely reaching the bare area and providing intermittent contact. You might want to try removing more anodizing closer to the thread area to improve reliability.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they don't work for you, you should send them to me so that I can use them with my MiniMag LEDs. (actually I'll have to go buy a couple more, 'cause I'm already using Krolls on all of my MiniMag LEDs ;) )

The reason that they don't work is because a Kroll switch just has that flimsy spring on the side to make contact with the body of the light of the light. Also the spring for the negative battery contact isn't long enough (remove the one from the MiniMagLED tailcap and use it to replace the one on the Kroll switch.) On the MiniMag LEDs (both) that area of the body is anodized and prevents the Kroll switch from completing the circuit with the body of the light. The challenge to you would be how you choose to complete that circuit; as there is no one correct way (other than redesigning and remanufacturing the Kroll switch.) Amongst the alternatives that you have are removing the anodizing from the lower 3/8-1/2" of the interior of the light, cut off the portion of the light that is anodized, fit the Kroll switch with an extended contact area to complete the circuit.

If you just need a mickey-mouse fix to see how it works with the Kroll switch, you can jamb a piece of aluminum foil in between the spring and the plastic on the side of the switch, making sure that it extends to the top of the switch (but not touching the battery spring.

KDOG3 said:
I tried both of the Krolls, on the MagLED, didn't work. Aargh. Now what can I use these for?

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
So, I'm guessing that the Terralux TCS-1 switch won't work either....dang.