U2 so many proble....

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a multi-stages LED flashlight, I find U2 very attractive....but I also heard a lot of problems with it......should i turn to L1 or L2?

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
I planned to use it in hiking and camping. I want something bright enough and the low stage can last for a long time.
Actually, I have read many posts in this forums.....and I already got a A2.
I am looking for a LED as I know I can switch on a LED at high level for long time, while an A2 can't....

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 is a superb light for your application. The low level lasts over 40 continuous hours. Beam is a good combination of flood and throw. Variable output is especially useful for camping, where you often don't need or want full output.

It's true there have been several reports of tail switch problems and donut beam patterns. However in every case I'm aware of, Surefire has replaced or repaired the light to the owner's satisfaction.

However there are other variable output lights to consider:

HDS U60: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm

Upcoming HDS/Novatec lights. These are roughly equivalent to the U2, having two cells, multiple output levels and tail switch. However they are more ruggedized:

http://www.pocketlights.com/blog/blog.html (scroll down to heading "High-Line LED Flashlights from HDS")
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133279
http://www.novatac.com/

That said, the A2 you already have is a great light and many people find it works well on camping trips.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 is a bit large for hiking in my opinion. Depending on how much light you need, the L1 might suit very well.

And... everything joema said is spot on.

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
The size of L2 is ok to me, I just wonder if the low stage of L1 is too low to be useful.

Also, as I am living in Hong Kong, get support from surefire may not be so easy...and I don't want to post my U2 to US so often....

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check B/S/T forums and buy it from a CPF'er who knows they are selling a good Surefire U2, or buy it from a reputable dealer and have them check it out before shipping it to you.
phypaa said:
The size of L2 is ok to me, I just wonder if the low stage of L1 is too low to be useful.

Also, as I am living in Hong Kong, get support from surefire may not be so easy...and I don't want to post my U2 to US so often....

Last edited:

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll find the Surefire L2 is a great light. The low stage is quite useful with the high in reserve for demanding situations. Welcome to CPF.

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
It sounds that even with different kinds of problem, U2 is still the winner:naughty:

olephart

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't consider being in the dark for a long time without a headlight. I'd also have the U2 in my pocket.

One extra set of batteries for each should make a week in a dark place.

Macaw

Enlightened
Have you checked out the McluxIII PD?
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/93466

To me, it would be the ultimate flashlight for what you want:
Adequately bright on high beam, good enough for most any time you would need a flashlight, ~2 hours runtime.
Low beam is excellent in low light conditions when you need to see what you're doing in fairly close quarters, such as a room. About 40 hours of regulated runtime!
One of the best reflectors made for a near perfect combination of throw and spill beams.
More sturdy than you will need even under severe conditions; extremely reliable!
Only a single CR123A cell needed - avoiding all the concern with using multiple Lithium cells. Also works well with RCR123 Li-Ion cells.
Expensive because it falls in line with the finest of equipment made for it's intended purpose.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
phypaa said:
I am looking for a LED as I know I can switch on a LED at high level for long time, while an A2 can't....

An A2 gets about 50 minutes or so on the incandescent mode, are you looking for more runtime than that? Most LED lights with 2x CR123 driving the luxeon to a similar output (80 lumens) are not going to give you much more runtime.

NAW

Enlightened
Go to a local gun store and see if they have any surefires. I'm sure they will.

If they have a U2 ask if you can open the box and inspect it before you buy it.

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
I did ask for the check before, but they refuse to do so.
Seen like that I may consider the great lights people here talk about

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
By the way how can I get a McluxIII PD?
Just find the answer....

Last edited: