The best drop-in LED for MagLite 4D?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I read all the threads, or so it seems. I tried the MagLED conversion module and did a conversion and was fairly impressed and still am. The only problem is lack of heat sinking and the output dropping after 5-10 minutes.

Anyway, what's the ultimate LED drop-in module for the MagLite 4D? One that has good throw, reasonable run time and at least as bright as the MagLED module?

TerraLux maybe? Something else?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Do you actually notice a big drop or is it mostly in your mind (like me)?

I find a 4D just way too big to use a lot, so I have a dim but LONG running NiteIze in mine.

I do have a M*gled 4 cell drop-in in a 3D M*g with 4C however.

And have used my 3 cell M*gled for more than 10 minutes a couple times and didn't notice a big drop in output...

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
etc said:
OK, I read all the threads, or so it seems. I tried the MagLED conversion module and did a conversion and was fairly impressed and still am. The only problem is lack of heat sinking and the output dropping after 5-10 minutes.

Anyway, what's the ultimate LED drop-in module for the MagLite 4D? One that has good throw, reasonable run time and at least as bright as the MagLED module?

TerraLux maybe? Something else?

Anything you put in it is still gonna suffer the effects of no heatsinking, so while it may stay at a continuous level, it's probably gonna be a bit rough on the LED. And anyone you do find is gonna cost more than the MagLED.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much. Unless Terralux decides to drop their prices.

I wrote Mag the other day and asked about different colored drop-ins being offered. They said it's not in any immediate plans, but a possibilty in the future.

A red-orange or amber drop-in in the tailcap to accompany my D cell MagLED for 19 bucks, oh yeah, I'd be all over that.

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking that a more substantial replacement for the bulb collar could help to draw some more heat away from the bulb. Does anyone make anything like this?

Meduza

Enlightened
Then it isnt a drop-in anymore, then it is a MOD :D

DHS - 10$
Luxeon III T or U-Bin - $10
Downboy 1000ma - 16.50$

:D

nelstomlinson

Newly Enlightened
Meduza said:
Then it isnt a drop-in anymore, then it is a MOD :D

DHS - 10$
Luxeon III T or U-Bin - $10
Downboy 1000ma - 16.50$

:D
Or how about the Magled with a big aluminum nut to replace the standard bulb retainer? That would be about $19 for the bulb, about $10 for the nut, and a bit less hassle. It could still count as a dropin.

Of course, it still would be lousy at getting the heat out to the outside world.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
At the info playboyshmoe gave me,

i tried a 3watt lux mag drop in for my 3d mag and i love it. I am running it with old batts that were used for the old krypton bulb and it is still bright for my needs.

It is my banger light and saves me on 123 batts.

Meduza

Enlightened
nelstomlinson said:
Or how about the Magled with a big aluminum nut to replace the standard bulb retainer? That would be about $19 for the bulb, about $10 for the nut, and a bit less hassle. It could still count as a dropin.

Of course, it still would be lousy at getting the heat out to the outside world.

At $29 i would still choose the much better performing Mag with a real heatsink at $36.50