Odd old light.

wmpwi

Enlightened
Justrite 4 Cell Flashlight @ 1949 I think. Great shape and built like a tank, not a new tank, but a tank nonetheless.

lantern.jpg

You have to love small town antique shops :)

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
wmpwi said:
Justrite 4 Cell Flashlight @ 1949 I think. Great shape and built like a tank, not a new tank, but a tank nonetheless.

Great pic wmpwi.

Justrite marketed that as a belt lamp, and it is very close to the Justrite headlamp design. They shortened the cord by several feet and riveted the headlamp bracket to the top of the battery holder.

I have a Justrite headlamp aquired in 1969, so it is 36 or 37 years old. Still works great after thousands of hours of use and abuse over the intervening years.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice light! Thanks for showing it to us.

How does the plastic insulation of the black wire feel? Smooth and brittle or soft and compliant?

sr45

Newly Enlightened
Justrite is also known for their helmet or hat mounted carbide lamps. And later on, for their miners' lamps. The miner's headlamps would give 12-18 hours of yellow light from a belt mounted rechargable battery pack. I've used both in caves and hard rock mines. Justrite has a rich history.

Nice find!

I

wmpwi

Enlightened
ringzero - it always amazes me as to the depth of knowledge CPFers possess. I suppose this could be a newer edition, since they probably all look the same and there are no date markings. Designwise, I guess if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Luminhound - Soft and compliant. I think it's been bouncing around in a box or trunk for a lot of years. I shows no corrosion inside and actually may not have had any batteries in it for most of it's life.

etc - D cells, though it doesn't say anywhere.

sr45 - see reply to ringzero. Still amazed. I did some checking last night and there are several type on ebay that do show Justright goes back a long way in a viraity of products, from gas cans to head lamps.

Quite a lot of Justrite "rich history" for $5.00. Thanks all for your input

Illum

Flashaholic
sr45 said:
Justrite is also known for their helmet or hat mounted carbide lamps. And later on, for their miners' lamps. The miner's headlamps would give 12-18 hours of yellow light from a belt mounted rechargable battery pack. I've used both in caves and hard rock mines. Justrite has a rich history.

Nice find!

I

its definitely a miners lamp of some sort...though I think a carbide burner would make more light than that but hey...its much more safer with a bulb assembly....

the battery compartment looks big enough to hold 4Ds....

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
sr45 said:

Justrite does indeed have a rich history. At one time their brass carbide lamps set the standard.

Even today, there is no electric light technology that produces as much useful, high quality light for as long and as cheaply as a good carbide lamp.

There were other lamps that were more expensive, and may have been marginally better, but Justrite lamps were available at every large hardware store. Any place that carried carbide lamps generally carried spare parts and Union Carbide rock carbide in two pound cans.

Unfortunately, sometime in the 70s, Justrite switched from brass to plastic, with predictable results. Their plastic carbide lamps never worked as well as the brass, and were no where near as durable. The plastic battery packs for the electric headlamps were pathetic compared to the tried and true rugged steel packs.

Always sad to see a great company ruin itself.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the military headlamp version of that light.
has a belt pack and a cloth cord.
and built like the proverbial brick s***house.