Golston Disappointment

daveman

Enlightened
Just got my Golston (3.6V x 2) today. Put in 2 123As after dark and took my FT-01 and XO3 for a stroll. The Golston didn't turn out to be the throw monster I've heard everybody say it was. Even after being focused, Golston's throw is only a bit better than the FT-01, it's about tied with the XO3 for throw. Golston's spill is not bad, but the FT-01's is better. I know it runs brightest on rechargables, but I didn't expect such medicore performance on primaries. All in all, I'm just a tiny, little bit disappointed because I thought I was getting a throw monster with 50 minute runtime. Instead, I have a FT-01-type light with less than half of FT-01's regulated runtime. At least I didn't pay too much for it.

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
let's hear how it compares to the FT-01 with 2x3.7v cells. is 50 min with primaries or rechargeables?

dulridge

Enlightened
If you intend to run it oon primary cells rather than rechargeables, the resistor inside will be too high to allow for full output. It should measure about 3.6 ohms - the original ones intended for primary cells had a resistor of about 1.9 ohms. Running the 1.9 resistor with rechargeables gives you a fearsomely bright light till the resistor burns out. The hot glue used to secure the resistor smells truly vile when it burns.

daveman

Enlightened
Pumaman said:
let's hear how it compares to the FT-01 with 2x3.7v cells. is 50 min with primaries or rechargeables?
50 minutes on rechargeables. Close to 1 1/2 hours unregulated on primaries...

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Daveman,

If you bought a .357 magnum pistol but only use .38 Special ammo, you won't have the legendary knockdown power that it was made famous for.

The "Golston" lights are significantly dimmer on CR123s. This has been the case with the sixty or so that have passed through my hands. Your light was intended to be used with a nominal 7.4 volts on lithium ions. If you underpower your light at only 6V you will be driving it 19% under spec. To compare apples to apples, wait until the CR123s in your huntlight are at 2.4V each. Then do your throw test. All the hype is legitimate. The "Golston" is one of the brightest LuxIII-type light available (but not actually a LuxIII). I would guess that most of mine are the equivalent of a U-bin at the top of it's bin, or at the lower end of V, and whiter (warmer) than an XO bin. Maybe WO, or X1.

Even at $1.00 each (plus shipping), primary 123s may cost you more in a year than a set of protected Li-ions and a charger.

Bernie

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
Wasn't there some talk about the light burning out when running on 3.6 rechargeables?

dulridge

Enlightened
NeedMoreLight said:
Wasn't there some talk about the light burning out when running on 3.6 rechargeables?

Yes, it happened to mine. It had a 1.9 ohm resistor which is fine for 3V cells,, but not 3.6 which requires a 3.6 ohm one. Easy enough to change. If I can do it, anyone can

daveman

Enlightened
dulridge said:
Yes, it happened to mine. It had a 1.9 ohm resistor which is fine for 3V cells,, but not 3.6 which requires a 3.6 ohm one. Easy enough to change. If I can do it, anyone can
So do I have to swap out the 1.9 ohm resistor before I go out and buy some rechargeables?

dulridge

Enlightened
So do I have to swap out the 1.9 ohm resistor before I go out and buy some rechargeables?

It will work for a while and if you can fit a 2-5watt resistor in the head then it will be crazy bright but it will adversely effect LED life as it is probably rated for 1A max current - with a 1.9 resistor it will be running more like 1.5A.

If it does burn up, K2's are cheap - I just paid 4.95 euros for one.

With a 1.9 resistor they should be producing about 6 watts at 1500mA

I'd swap it back myself.

Last edited: