tec 40 with NIMHs what bulb?

Mike Iver

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a tec 40 to run on rechargeables. I am not having much luck with the KPR103. I read that someone uses the KPR 139. I was just wondering what bulbs people use in this light on rechargeables, and how they seem to hold up?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the KPR103 and I don't have a ton of luck with it either. It tends to burn out rather quickly. Currently I have a Mag 3 cell bulb and it has lasted quite a while without any problems.

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
I use a 3 cell Mag bulb. Nice and white on 4 AA rechargables. I have a couple of hours runtime on it with no issues as yet.

Cheers,
Simon

Edit.... My 100th post! Its official, I'm a flashoholic
jpshakehead.gif

Last edited:

ginaz

Enlightened
i use a philips xenon bulb, i'm not sure other than it's rated 3.6v and 0.8 amp. gives similar performance to mag 3 cell but i like the pattern better.

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
The Tec 40 will be my first hotwire. I'm first going to use an XPR103 from Radio Shack. It's a xenon 3cell 0.8a bulb that some others have mentioned holds up well to 4 nimh. But I will be ordering some KPR139s(3.85v,1.32a krypton), KPR130s(3.85v, 1.2a krypton), and HPR44s(4v, 1a halogen). If the KPR139 doesn't melt the reflector, it will give Maglite 6cell performance from a rather small, tough, and inexpensive light, minus the runtime of course.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
is it safe to use a 3cell pr bulb with four cells that have been used a bit?

if you use a set of batteries with the stock halogen until it goes yellow and then swap it out with a 3cell pr, will the light be white again?

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
UPS girl delivered my Tec 40s today. Tried it on alkalines with oem bulb, Mag 4cell xenon and a Philips HPX40 and RS XPR103 on Energizer 2200mah nimh. Definitely brightest and whitest on the XPR103. These cells were hot off the charger too. The Mag xenon and the Philips xenon have similar specs and similar results which was surprising since the filaments and envelopes are completely different. I figure the stock bulb is for last resort only now.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
el_vato said:
can a magled fit in this?
thanks!
el_vato

no, it's a little too thick... the bulb from the the 4aa craftsman endurable led flashlight fits perfectly. It doesn't have nearly as much throw as the stock bulb, but will convert it into a great flood light. I used a tec 40 with an endurable bulb for camping and it lights up an entire camp site quite well and the inside of a tent VERY well.

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Well, I hope to get my bulb order soon. Up until yesterday, I'd never seen a Tec 40 in person. It really is small, smaller than a SL PP lux. Very simple too, although I wish bulb changes were simpler. It doesn't throw like a PP, but it's a very smooth beam, with a large hotspot that still has good reach with the XPR103. I can't wait to see it on a KPR139, I'm expecting throw similar to the PP with a much larger swath of light and still run for over 90 min on Energizer 2200mah.

3mw

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently using a KPR103 in my Tec-40 with good results, but I would also like to try the KPR139 bulb. Where can I purchase them? Thanks.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered 10 of the 139's from Topbulb, so I'll post back as soon as I get them. I'm sick of buying KPR103's and having them last only a couple hours of runtime and then having them blow, so I spent the extra cash and bought these. After shipping they are only around $2.75 each, which is comparable to a Mag bulb.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received them today (well actually I only received 1 and the other 9 are backordered :awman: ) , but at least I have one to play with.

Anyways this thing is BRIGHT! The beam is far from Surefire quality, but who cares at this brightness. It a small slice (thin pizza slice shape) that is dark, but it is probabley only noticable on a wall inside. The hotspot is nice and bright and pretty smooth too without any artifacts. The only real imperfection in the beam is the slice. Other than that it is pretty good, and VERY bright!!! I compared it to my 100 lumen G2 in a ceiling bounce test and this thing is even brighter! For only $2.70 shipped each this is a steal of a deal considering the output. I hope they last at least 10+ (hopefully 25+) hours each. I will post back after it has some real use on it to see how it holds up.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Right now I've got an Aztec 4AA light I got for $1.50 at Big Lots. I was using a 3 cell Mag bulb and that worked fine. Right now I've got a mystery bulb in it that is even much brighter. I'll have to check the markings, it was in with some old PR bulbs I had saved.

Latest posts