Fenix L1T, L1S, L1P?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike89

Enlightened
I'm new to LED flashlights (never had one or even seen one in action). I just ordered the Fenix L2T (should be getting it in a few days). The only other 2 AA flashlight I've ever owned was the regular Maglite AA (not LED).

I'm also interested in a single AA LED (if I like the one I ordered above). I see the three above (L1T, L1S, L1P) on the Fenix store. So what's the diff between them? What would make someone choose one in particular of the three?

How would they compare with the Arc AAA LED?

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike89 said:
I'm new to LED flashlights (never had one or even seen one in action). I just ordered the Fenix L2T (should be getting it in a few days). The only other 2 AA flashlight I've ever owned was the regular Maglite AA (not LED).

I'm also interested in a single AA LED (if I like the one I ordered above). I see the three above (L1T, L1S, L1P) on the Fenix store. So what's the diff between them? What would make someone choose one in particular of the three?

How would they compare with the Arc AAA LED?

Those 3 lights listed are all more powerful than the Arc. I'd take the L1T out of the three. However I'd rather just get a CR123 tube for the L2T you have coming. Run a RCR123 and you'll get more brightness on high and still fairly long run with low and not to mention the light will be only about 3 inches long.

Chuck289

Enlightened
The L1T is a 3watt light with high and low settings
The L1S is a 1watt light with high and low settings
The L1P is a 1watt light with just one setting

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the Civictor V1. Smaller than the Fenixes, very well designed twisty (spring loaded battery contact, extra long threads for lots of bearing surface, tight tolerances with smooth action) tempered glass lens, uses Fenix L1P board and 1W lux, absolutely no clicky problems due to no clicky, costs less ($29.75 shipped from Fenix Store). Feels nicer in the hand (to me) due to very nice knurling on the body and head.

Mike89 said:

You'll be amazed at Mag LED. 2AA LED is a lot brighter than Minimag you have and 3AA LED is even brighter.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Handlobraesing said:
You'll be amazed at Mag LED. 2AA LED is a lot brighter than Minimag you have and 3AA LED is even brighter.
The 3AA MagLED is not regulated, from the graph I recall seeing.

Hey, Handy, I just bought a Fenix L2P. How about you bring your new MagLED (which I'm really eager to see) and we do a shootout between the two? I usually wait a while before getting a light (so bugs can be worked out), and I think this comparison would be really useful. Let me know. I also have a couple of Lux lights that we could take beamshots of, just to expand our comparison.

Mike, simply put:
L1T - 2 stages, hard anodize (tough finish)
L1S - 2 stages, Type II anodizing (like what maglite has on their lights)
L1P - first offering by Fenix; being discontinued

Whichever you get, you'll be satisfied; they're many steps forward from any other "regular" flashlight you can get at Kmart, etc.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you are going to be impressed by any of these lights and especially your L2T. It is going to blow a regular Minimag out of the water.
Out of the three lights you are considering I would have to suggest the L1T. It has two stages and offers excellent runtime on low and high output on high. I also suggest you get some rechargable AA batteries for your lights because they will give far more runtime than Alkaline batteries, and they will save you a bunch if you use these lights regularly.

Any of the AA Luxeon Fenix models will crush a ARC AAAP in output. The L2T will give more output on low than the AAAP it will also run longer, and it is fully regulated on that setting as well (which means it won't dim until the batteries are completely dead). To be totally honest the AAAP is really a classic that is somewhat outdated and way overpriced compared to some other lights that are currently on the market. It was incredible 3-4 years ago but recently other lights have come out that are better in basically every way and cost far less (Fenix E1 or Fenix EO).

If you want a nice keychain light get either a EO from Fenix-store.com for $20 or get 10 key lights from fifthunit.com for only $5 shipped (TALK ABOUT A DEAL!). Believe it or not those keylights are going to be brighter than a AAAP.

Mike89

Enlightened
However I'd rather just get a CR123 tube for the L2T you have coming. Run a RCR123 and you'll get more brightness on high and still fairly long run with low and not to mention the light will be only about 3 inches long.

I don't even know what that is! I'm a newbie LED flunkie! I've spend considerable time here this evening reading about LED flashlights (I have like 25 pages loaded right now!) and have surfed about 15 pages of this forum. Dam, a lot of frickin LED flashlights! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I'm LED overwhelmed!

LOL!

Last edited:

randyo

Enlightened
As for the comparison to the ARC AAA, it's apples and oranges. The ARC-AAA is a keychain sized flashlight with enough output to also serve as an every day light. The Fenix AA series lights - be they L1 or L2 or Civictor, are all larger, more of a "pocket" light size for the single AA battery models, and a "pouch" or "belt" light for the 2 AA battery sizes. Obviously ALL of the Fenix series AA lights, being Luxeons, have more output than the ARC AAA does with its overdriven 5mm Nichia, but the ARC has enough lite for what it's purpose was intended to be.

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
You are in for a real treat when you get this light.
Any of these L series Fenix lights will amaze you, especially if you never used a Luxeon flashlight before. They use cheap powerful batteries and the output/size ratio is excellent.

Although it is much bigger than the 1 AA cell Fenix lights try the Mag 3AAA - 3 watt led light if you still can get it at Home Depot for 19.97, you will not be sorry you bought it.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:

There is no comparison between the Mag LED"s and the Fenix L1T and L1S.

- The Mag uses cheap type 2 annodizing
+ Fenix L1T uses Type 3 or Hard annodize which is the toughest type

- The mag uses a plastic lens that will scratch easily under real use
Quality lexan typical absorbs 15% of the light coming out of your light.
I'm not even sure mag uses lexan.
+ Fenix L1T uses Anti-reflective coating that maximizes the amount of light
from your LED. Around 99%

- The mag uses 2 or 3 AA cells
+ The Fenix L1's only use a single cell.

- The mag has only one level of output - when you're depleted, thats it.
+ The Fenix L1T puts out 10 lumens of constant output on low on plain
alkalines - runtime varies with brand. With Nimh and lithiums you'll 50-70%
more runtime. On high you get 2-3 hours.
I find that the low is too bright when I use it in the middle of the night.
It's enough to read at night :)

Here are some graphs for ya :)
Fenix%20L1T%20low.png

Fenix%20L1T%20high.png

And as Handlo so kindly pointed out in this THREAD
mag does not cover LED burnout in their "limited lifetime warranty"

Fenix doesn't make such exclusions to their warranty. As a Fenix dealer I have pledged
to take care of whatever problems you may have. :) I've done
warranty service for Fenix's that we're not even purchased from me.
I've been on CPF over two years and I'm committed to serve the cpf
community.

Handlo simply has a problem with me because He requested a Fenix for testing.
Without hesitation I graciously offered him a loaner. He requested a freebie. I refused. He then
decided against his so-called tests. Now he has a problem with me and
searches all the Fenix threads and trolls - one fenix thread was closed
because of him today.

Anyway, I'm compelled to post here to defend myself from his trolling. And
I feel the community deserves to know what is really going on. :)

Last edited:
Mike89 said:
I don't even know what that is! I'm a newbie LED flunkie! I've spend considerable time here this evening reading about LED flashlights (I have like 25 pages loaded right now!) and have surfed about 15 pages of this forum. Dam, a lot of frickin LED flashlights! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I'm LED overwhelmed!

LOL!
CR123 is an expensive 3v battery usually sold as "photo lithium battery" and RCR123 is the rechargeable version in the same shape.
Just get a Minimag LED for $20-25 and I think you'll be happy

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
CR123 is an expensive 3v battery usually sold as "photo lithium battery" and RCR123 is the rechargeable version in the same shape.
Just get a Minimag LED for $20-25 and I think you'll be happy

What does the cr123 have to do with the topic?
Why do you keep going OT?

Mike89

Enlightened
Well from reading here, it looks like I made a good choice with the L2T. My original Maglite 2 AA took a dump awhile back and I wanted another 2 AA flashlight. This time I wanted to try an LED so I started reading and ended up buying the L2T. I wasn't planning on spending that much money but I was kinda intrigued so I did it.

I regret I didn't buy the light from the Fenix store. I got it at Brightguy.com.

I was just surfing and that's the first one I hit. After reading the forum support here from 4sevens, I'm quite impressed and I will make sure the next one I get will be from you. Looks like it will be the L1T as I guess that's the single AA one that puts out the most light.

Last edited:
Mike89 said:
Well from reading here, it looks like I made a good choice with the L2T. My original Maglite 2 AA took a dump awhile back and I wanted another 2 AA flashlight. This time I wanted to try an LED so I started reading and ended up buying the L2T. I wasn't planning on spending that much money but I was kinda intrigued so I did it.

I regret I didn't buy the light from the Fenix store. I got it at Brightguy.com.

I was just surfing and that's the first one I hit. After reading the forum support here from 4sevens, I'm quite impressed and I will make sure the next one I get will be from you. Looks like it will be the L1T as I guess that's the single AA one that puts out the most light.

Check out the LiteFlux LF1
Very similar to Fenix, but it comes with two pipes so you can change the configuration for 2AA or 1AA.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/127530

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
Check out the LiteFlux LF1
Very similar to Fenix, but it comes with two pipes so you can change the configuration for 2AA or 1AA.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/127530

He already purchase a light if you didn't notice.

There is also that option with the L1t/L2t. For the record, the Lf1 doesn't
have a regulated low. Instead current passes through a resistor thus
losing energy to heat, reducing output and/or runtime.

4sevens said:
He already purchase a light if you didn't notice.

There is also that option with the L1t/L2t. For the record, the Lf1 doesn't
have a regulated low. Instead current passes through a resistor thus
losing energy to heat, reducing output and/or runtime.

And Fenix L1P's light output is over-stated by 82% based on McGizmo's test.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
:sigh:

This is the second thread in the last few hours that needed to be closed for the same reasons.

All parties involved ....... TAKE YOUR DISPUTE OFF OF CPF

Thread closed

Unforgiven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts