Minimag LED people, 2AA or 3AA, which do you prefer?

Between the Minimag LED 2AA & 3AA, which one would you rather carry?

• 2AA

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • 3AA

Votes: 74 40.9%
  • can't decide...

Votes: 25 13.8%

• Total voters
As usual, there's a trade off....

Minimag 2AA LED is only slightly longer than a regular Minimag and the stabilized output on NiMH is about 1/2 that of stabilized output of 3AA on NiMH.

3AA is longer and seeing how thin it is, it's awkwardly long. If you had to carry it around and can only carry around one, which one do you prefer?

I really have a hard time deciding. I really like the higher output of 3AA, but I really like the size of 2AA...

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
3AA and here is why:

I carry minimags in my back jeans pocket usually. The thing is that the 3AA sits very comfortably in my rear pocket with not that much sticking out. And the increased output really sweetens the deal.

The 2AA is a nice size but since it's not a light I would put in a small pocket, might as well go for the larger one with more Oomph.

YMMV and I could be in the tiny minority that thinks that.

besides, with the 3AA you could always use it as a tire iron :D

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm ready to see a 6 cell version. If only for a limited run.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 3AA, but not as a pocket carry, would be good in a bag or holster. good feel in the hand..

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 AA much too long
2 AA longer than "normal" model
"normal" model still too long
--> anything else with 2AA, back end switch, 2 stage output, ...

--> vote: "none of both"

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I'm wondering if there is a way to get the output of the 3AA out of the 2AA, I'm running Energizer e2 lithiums in my 2AA but I don't see any increase in output. Are they using the same driver board and setup just with different length battery tubes? If so, I'm wondering if some of the modders here can make an extension tube.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting for tailcap clickies.
Otherwise I'll have to save up for a Lucidus.

Saw a 2AA MM LED next to an MM incav. It is a lot longer. The 3AA is even loooonger

Buy a 3AA, send it to one of the modders to cutdown to 1AA size, buy a 14500 battery.
Ummm... THat is a lithium. Ka-Boom. Maybe not.

adnj

Enlightened
Can you really CARRY the 3AA? It's like having a hockey stick in your pocket. Hopefully, they will bring out a new, fat 3AA that is short enough to carry without a helper.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDninja said:
Waiting for tailcap clickies.

The Kroll works great, might take a little tinkering with that spring on the side. But worth it. I have one on my 2AA and love it....

garageguy

Newly Enlightened
I had the 2AA and returned it, good light output but not what I wanted from a 3watt. I understand that the it is an underdriven Lux3, but I have several 1watt lights that match it or even beat it. I then bought the 3AA the output was impressive, much more than the 2AA, but I just couldn't bet past the length of it. I don't think that I would of carried it much because it is so long. I returned it too. I would aslo like to see a shorter fatter 3AA version.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
2AA definitely. If I wanted higher power and/or smaller formfactor, there are many others...

dwminer

Enlightened
I had both. Could not make up my mind. Along came my boy's. Now I don't have any LED AA lights to worry about. Problem solved.
Dave

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few 14670 lithiums that I got for a nexgen 750. I will have to try one in the 3AA MagLED.
does anyone know if the LED assembly is the same in the 2AA and the 3AA?

The output may be brighter to overdrive the 2AA with the lithium, at any rate - I will make a few dummy batteries and try it before I cut down and MagLEDs

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mini Mag 2AA works great on Alkalines ... even if it's semi Regulated... 3.5 hours is respectable.... + Focusability + USA Assembled (if not fully manufactured)

NewBie said:
No reason to pick one or the other, they are both very low cost, just buy both.

I just wish MagLite would have put a bit more quality into their product.

What quality problem have you had with your Minimag LED?

Also, the point of this thread was to decide which one fits your need better if you had to pick one. Not really how much/little it cost and should you buy both or not.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2AA due to size. I like the 3AA but it is just too long for easy carry IMHO. If it's going to be in your vehicle or messenger bag, then the 3AA is the way to go. I've had no issues with the new Magleds, except there is little warning before battery depletion.

europium

Enlightened
I guess when it comes to "size," my opinion differs. I see no point in getting the 2xAA precisely because its "size" is not that much smaller compared to the advantage of the greater output and longer runtime of the 3xAA. I use the sheath with the 3xAA, looping it through my belt. A 2xAA would be too small to put on my belt, yet a bit too large to carry comfortably in my pocket. And the difference in weight is negligible to me, since both are lightweight. Also, I have a couple of Fenix L2P lights, so the MagLED 2xAA would just be duplication of the form factor.

Perhaps I should point out that I use primaries exclusively, both Alkalines and Energizer L91 lithiums. Maybe NiMH users would prefer the 2xAA for some reason.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just picked up a 3AA this morning from Home Depot.

The long length and lack of a clickie makes this light best for a backpack when camping or backpacking. Would come in handy as a back-up light in an emergency or Blackout kit.

Not really something I'd carry around on a daily basis.