Safe current for a CREE UV in transplant

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a question that requires a real world answer, not just a quote from the spec sheet. I have a CREE UV led that is currentally in a dorcy AAA running off a AAA Li-Ion. I am going to transplant it into a 'C' or 'D' m@g for better output and focusability. What I need to know is, what is the NOM and MAX safe drive levels that can be pushed into one of these LED's? It will be on a modofied o-sink so heatsinking is not an issue. I have heard of people pushing 1A+, but since this is the only one I have and replacing it looks hard to do, I wish to keep it safe.

Any help is appreciated.

Mahalo

Jeff

Last edited:

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
I haven't pushed one because I'm scared of messing it up, but I've done 400mA without incident.

I notice the Aleph 19 comes with a downboy 500mA converter, so 500mA must but fairly safe.

I was under the impression that this led doesn't focus very well in the mag reflector. How does your beam look?

Anyone else? We definately need more information on this. Cree uv xlamps are such a nice led.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, two bits. The 'dome' has come off so the die is exposed, giving it a wider output. Also, it currentally has a 3/8" (mabyee 1/4) acrilic spherical optic. it projects nicely, but the acrilic blocks a bit of the UV and it is starting to get cloudy.
Jeff