Surefire: using rechargeables voids the warranty?

grnamin

Enlightened
I just got off the phone with a Surefire rep regarding my U2 not staying on for more than 10 minutes at a time. He said that I had to send the light back in. I asked if I could send just the head because the body can take 18650 rechargeables (plastic battery tube removed). Whoops! Bad move there! The rep said that using rechargeables voids the warranty. That's news to me. Did someone post something about this here before because I missed it. :( I can still send my U2 to SF, but the rep already placed a "note" in the RMA stating that I used rechargeables. :( Just a heads-up to anyone wanting to send their Surefires back for warranty work.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Actually, a SF rep rolled his eyes in disbelief (this was at SHOT Show ealier this year) when he realized I had Battery Station primary cells in my U2. I thought it was a funny reaction.

JanCPF

Enlightened
:eek:oo: You can use rechargables in Surefire???
I have certainly neeeever done something like that :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
:ironic: :devil: :D
In fact I'm using Li-Ions in ALL my surefires which includes L4, L5, KL1. Haven't got a U2 yet though.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does your product warranty indicate that it is void if you use rechargeable batteries?
Telephone agents whether they're customer service or tech support are generally lowly paid, low-level employees. They're also often lowly skilled, and often make up rules on the fly to compensate for their shortcomings. I'd suggest calling again, but just to be safe, don't bring up the tube or battery issue or bring up the issue about the tube. If they replace the light eventually, you'll probably have to settle for what you get, since the only other alternative is that you're stuck with a $200+ defective flashlight that the manufacturer won't stand behind.

grnamin said:
The rep said that using rechargeables voids the warranty. That's news to me.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is because some people will just grab a couple of 3.6 volt rechargeable lithium batteries, put them in a flashlight. It seems like they fit just right. They turn it on and … boom! Should the manufacturer give them a new flashlight, bulb or whatever? Surefire and most other manufacturers will void your warranty if you tell them you have used rechargeables that they have not specifically approved. Since he gave you a RMA, it sounds like they are just going to replace or repair it anyway.:)

ja10

Enlightened
An attorney might be able to clarify what I'm about to say, but I'm pretty sure it is up to the manufacturer to prove why your actions voided the warranty. This is never how it works normally, but if you push them hard enough I believe they are required to provide proof that you actions caused the defect - and the proof is not, "the warranty says so".

For example, it is not valid for a company to say in super fine print, "This warranty is void on even days of the month". Any exceptions to the warranty must be able to be defended. Using 2 3.6v R123's could easily damage the electronics, and is a legitmate reason to void a warranty. Just like putting diesel in your unleaded engine voids that warranty too.

If this becomes an issue simply say that you have used several cells in your U2, including a single cell with a max of 3.6/3.7v. Ask them to tell you which component is damaged by using such a cell. My guess is that they couldn't, since so many of use use that cell in our U2s and the only side effect is longer runtimes :).

This doesn't mean they will do it, but the level 1 support (Customer Service), has a sheet of DOs and DON'Ts and go by that. However, if you push hard enough, you should be able to get someone who can actually tell you how and why using a 18650 damages the light. If they can't prove why, they can't deny your warranty.

As a note: I'm an flashlight and legal noobie, but this exact issue was discussed in a law class I took several years back. Maybe someone with more knowledge in both subjects can chime in, but I wanted to point this out as a possible option for you.

grnamin

Enlightened
The instructions don't say anything about avoiding using rechargeables. Thank you all for your replies. Good points to ponder, ja10.

Art Vandelay, it really is funny that SF gave me an RMA anyway. BTW, how is George nowadays? :D

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
grnamin said:
The instructions don't say anything about avoiding using rechargeables. Thank you all for your replies. Good points to ponder, ja10.

Art Vandelay, it really is funny that SF gave me an RMA anyway. BTW, how is George nowadays? :D
Grnamin, George is doing great. When he started I thought he was just going to sit at a desk and push papers around, but now he is my number one latex salesman.:)

Even if they had Surefire had a good reason to void your warranty, and I don't think they do, I think they would go out their way not to.

The main reason I buy Surefires is that they stand behind their product. I know that if I have a problem with one of their lights they will make it right. Surefire will not try to weasel out of their responsibility to their customers.

Many cheaper lights are available, and sometimes they are tempting. I don't know that I can count on the cheaper lights to honor the spirit of their warranty, if they even have one. Who's to say that what "normal use and service" is, or that it has not been "subject to modification, misuse, negligence, accident, improper maintenance or repair by anyone other than X". I would not count on implied warranty either.

Here is the Surefire warranty. It is not that different from many other manufactures. The difference is that Surefire is not trying get away with doing minimum they possibly can.

WARRANTY

SureFire warrants its products to be free from defects in

materials and workmanship. SureFire will repair or

replace, at its option and without charge, any product

or part which is found to be defective under normal use

and service. Such repair or replacement shall be the

purchaser's sole and exclusive remedy under this

warranty. This warranty does not include normal

maintenance and services and does not apply to any

products or parts which have been subject to

modification, misuse, negligence, accident, improper

maintenance or repair by anyone other than SureFire.

Warranty Limitation

There is no other express warranty. SureFire hereby

disclaims any and all implied warranties, including but

not limited to fitness for a particular purpose. SureFire

shall not be liable for incidental, consequential, or special

damages arising out of, or in connection with, product

use or performance.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I have a feeling that part never got across and the phone agent never inquired. As soon as the word 'rechargeable' was heard it immediately triggered a red flag. I'd like to see how two 18650s can fit into a light tube that is designed to hold 2 CR123s :D

Art Vandelay said:
I think it is because some people will just grab a couple of 3.6 volt rechargeable lithium batteries, put them in a flashlight. It seems like they fit just right. They turn it on and … boom! Should the manufacturer give them a new flashlight, bulb or whatever? Surefire and most other manufacturers will void your warranty if you tell them you have used rechargeables that they have not specifically approved. Since he gave you a RMA, it sounds like they are just going to replace or repair it anyway.:)

Latest posts