What sort of LED is this? and 12v question..

shootermcgavin

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad to find this site and have read many of the threads.

I have a circuit board of very bright LED's out of a rear vision mirror off a car which had the fancy turn signal inbuilt.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the type of LED these are and if they were in a car does this automatically mean they should be 12v?

Also I'm curious about amps. I'm making a few LED lights for the tool shed out the back. A car battery will power them and a solar panel keeps the battery somewhat topped off. But I have no clue how to deal with amps. If I make the LED lights to take 12v will they only draw the required amps? or will they run on too many and become Friodes?

Thanks in advance.

Shooter

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is from a car, it should be a 12v device, the current limiting should be in the PC board. 7 LEDs is a strange number as it not dividable. I see a diode (reversal) on the board and what looks like 2 SMT transistor devices. Most likely voltage regulators. If there are 3 pins on the header, there is most likely GND, +12, and some sort of controll. If that can be figured out, it should runn happy on +12. I cant see it drawing more than 100mA.
Hope that helps.

Jeff

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
>I'm wondering if anyone knows the type of LED these are

My guess is that they may be SMD.

>and if they were in a car does this automatically mean
>they should be 12v?

If you were to pull one off the board and run it individually I'd expect it to want somewhere between one and three volts. All assembled and with the other electronic bits wired in, I'd expect it to run off 12 DC applied at that socket.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
Georges80 on this board makes some automotive lighting. I believe automotive lighting was one of his early lighting projects. Now days he provides some of the best led drivers around. If you don't use his auto lighting, consider using his drivers.

Here's his website
http://www.taskled.com/order.html