Surefire KL3 and Z48 questions

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about building a KL3 based light and i'm wondering about the beam. I know with the optic it's a narrow beam, but how narrow is it compared to the Surefire L1? I found the complete lack of sidespill on my L1 limited it's usefulness. The reason i'm looking into building this is I want a good throwing long-runtime LED light. Also, will the FM64 beamshaper fit the KL3 head?

How does the z48 stack up reliability-wise to other SF tailcaps?

SunStar

Enlightened
That is the exact setup I use with the KL3: FM64 / Z48 / 2 or 3x123 cells.

The latest generation KL3 actually does have some useful side spill and although still a narrow beam, due to the larger hot spot, I find it more useful than the L1 (discounting dual stage) outdoors. When coupled with the FM64, the KL3 produces a "wall of light" that is absent of a hotspot. I have found the Z48 & Z49 to be extremely rugged and reliable and personally feel that it is essential for indoor use when combined with the FM64 / KL3 so that one can stand the light on end for ceiling bounce (candle mode). This set up can run all night during power outages and light the entire room. I also keep this set up on board my boat. When using the FM64, I can illuminate pretty much the entire deck with a soft beam that is easy on dark adapted eyes.

I definately recommend.:grin2: