Cleaning L1T threads?

Spotpuff

Newly Enlightened
What do people use to clean the threads on these and then re-lube them? Is machine oil ok or is there special grease you can get that's clear?

*edit* old contents; problem fixed battery was just dying!
I bought a Fenix L1T from the fenix store a few months ago. Recently I noticed it seems to be stuck on "low" instead of being able to change between low and high. Any ideas on how to fix this or what might be wrong?

Last edited:

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
In reference to your original question, there are several lubes in use. Nyogel from Lighthound is a good one. Another is Silicone grease and is recommended by manufacturers. Its available from most Electronics stores. Many recommend "Super Lube" from Rad Shack, but I was unable to find it in about 12 local stores. I've also used pneumatic tool oil with great success, as its formulated especially to preserve "O" rings. It migrates easily though and requires frequent cleanup around body contact areas if you apply too much.

formicae

Newly Enlightened
eBay user "emartingbr" has some really great 100% silicone grease for sale. I got a 60ml pot for about $11, shipped, and now have enough of the stuff to grease threads and o-rings for ages.

Rowrbazzle

Newly Enlightened
lightningbug said:
Many recommend "Super Lube" from Rad Shack, but I was unable to find it in about 12 local stores.
I got my tube of Super Lube at the local Ace Hardware store. I think it was about $5 for a 3-ounce tube that ought to last years. Its not as thick and sticky as a pure silicon grease, so its a little easier to apply, and a little easier to wipe off the excess. For your twisty-switch lights - or for that dual-level LxT head - its pretty much a matter of how tight the head is, and what feel you prefer. Super Lube seems to give me an easier-turning head than straight silicon grease, which may or may not be what you want on a particular light.

So, $5 for the Super Lube, maybe $3 for a 0.5 ounce container of silicon grease. IMHO, buy both and see which you like better on that light.

-Robert

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful of the _pure_ silicon grease on flashlight head and tail-cap threads. the grease part is just fine. Unfortunately the pure _silicon_ part is not a conductor of electricity. Normally the electrical path to the bulb or LED goes thru the threads. That may be OK if the grease isn't too thick. I purchased some of the pure silicon grease - really stringy, thick, etc. for about $4 at a hardware store. After applying it to a couple o'rings, I put some on the threads - and promptly had problems with my Fenix L2T head not being able to switch from high to low but rather turning completely off (electrical path was broken). I had to clean the threads and switch to an o-ring grease. Such a problem would not exist with the tail cap since it is normally screwed on tight and therefore a good contact is ensured thru the threads.