Surefire L4/L5/L6- which is the best walk-the-dog-light?

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
I am sure almost EVERY CPFer has one of these at home. All 3 are excellent choices. I find it hard to choose the right one, which of the three LED lights (Surefire L4 Lumamax, Surefire L5 Lumamax, Surefire L6 Lumamax) would be best suited for walking with the dog (Or without the dog :) )

Cagmag

Newly Enlightened
I use my L2 almost exclusively for walking my dog in the dark. And, 99% of the time it's on low. It's an outstanding light.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Fila:)

IMO it depends on your (and your dogs) habits. Do you walk with your dog on the lead and/or without? How far does your dog distant from you? If your dog will be in your near area, a thrower light is not unconditional necessary.

But in this case I would also prefer (and use:)) a light, which is be able to throw better than a SF L2, L4, U2. Since I don't own a L5 and L6, I can't say if one of them would fit my needs during walking with my dogs at night, but the light I use throws further with a much better sidespill:)

Best regards

____
Tom

jtice

Flashaholic
L2 is two brightness levels.
Other than that, I think the beam is similar to the L4???

Of the L4, L5, and L6,
I would say the L4.
You shouldnt need alot of throw, the L4 flood is alot wider, great for walking.
Hotspot is also wider, and doesnt create tunnel vision.

~John

SCblur

Enlightened
I know it's not on your list, but I also would vote for the L2. Similar to the L4 in terms of brightness and beam pattern, but two levels of light for extending battery life.

Last edited:

Paladin

Enlightened
Walking a fairly dark neighborhood I prefer a KL3 head most of the time. Many other lights have been used, but I like the smaller beam and lack of side spill to keep from lighting up adjacent yards as I pass by. The throw is adequate for checking out lurking critters under vehicles and trailers before we approach more closely. On a 9P body I get enough run time with three "slightly used" primary cells from my other lighting systems that a rechargable solution is not needed. Constant on usage doesn't generate the problematic heat an L5 creates.

I could "get by" just as well with an E2L.

Paladin

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
Paladin said:
Walking a fairly dark neighborhood I prefer a KL3 head most of the time. Many other lights have been used, but I like the smaller beam and lack of side spill to keep from lighting up adjacent yards as I pass by. The throw is adequate for checking out lurking critters under vehicles and trailers before we approach more closely. On a 9P body I get enough run time with three "slightly used" primary cells from my other lighting systems that a rechargable solution is not needed. Constant on usage doesn't generate the problematic heat an L5 creates.

I could "get by" just as well with an E2L.

Paladin

From what I understand the KL5 is the best at heatsinking of the three lights in the title.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the three choices, I'd go with the L6 because of the better throw. Dogs can take off or hear something at a distance, so sometimes you need that throw. The L4, which I love, is a better indoor light.

cy

Flashaholic
L2 comes with two stages, but has a dumb head design. VS L4, L5, L6 all are single stage regulated lights with driver inside head.

it's easy to add two stage to L4,5,6

my favorite setup for dog walking is L6 driven by 2x 17670 li-ion cells. stll favor U2 for 40min dog walks too.

FILA BRAZILIA said:
What is the advantage of the L2 opposite to the L4/L5/L6?

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
Thats a tough question... I would go with the L4 of your choices, but overall the L2 is pretty nice. You can take advantage of long battery life on low and use the high level when you need it. With that being said, get both of these and you'll be very happy :) You always need a backup anyway. The L5 and L6 have more throw and can be very functional, but for walking the dog and general walking I really like to have a nice flood beam.

However, I typically find myself walking around with a U2 or Gladius or sometimes a Pentagon L2 and then an E2L in my pocket. I use my E2L for its throw when needed.

Esthan

Enlightened
Buy Yourself a Headlamp (various outputs, boost mode and diffuser all on one), it's much more useful and costs less.

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Esthan said:
Buy Yourself a Headlamp (various outputs, boost mode and diffuser all on one), it's much more useful and costs less.

Esthan; Maybe, but there is something about flashlights I love, I consider myself a flashlightoholic :)

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Long John:) ,
When I walk the dog, she (the dog) walks constantly 5m (16-17 feet) ahead of me. I think the light should, because of that, throw 30 feet. If I`m going to choose either L4/L5/L6, the L4 throws too short, I assume? :huh2:

Long John said:
Hello Fila:)

IMO it depends on your (and your dogs) habits. Do you walk with your dog on the lead and/or without? How far does your dog distant from you? If your dog will be in your near area, a thrower light is not unconditional necessary.

But in this case I would also prefer (and use:)) a light, which is be able to throw better than a SF L2, L4, U2. Since I don't own a L5 and L6, I can't say if one of them would fit my needs during walking with my dogs at night, but the light I use throws further with a much better sidespill:)

Best regards

____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
FILA BRAZILIA said:
Long John:) ,
When I walk the dog, she (the dog) walks constantly 5m (16-17 feet) ahead of me. I think the light should, because of that, throw 30 feet. If I`m going to choose either L4/L5/L6, the L4 throws too short, I assume? :huh2:

Fila:), in this case every one of these lights would be a good choice.
Take the one, you'll like the best:)

Best regards

____
Tom

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to use non-rechargeable batteries, go for the L2. The low mode will save you batteries and isn't so bright that it will totally blind you to your surroundings.

Is there a reason you must have the L4/L5/L6? All are fantastic, but for sustained output the L4 heats up quite quickly and will probably be too much light for your needs.