Tech 40 w/no O ring

redbird

Enlightened
I was wondering if there was any drawback to using the Tech 40 or rage without the O-ring.

It would seem to me that if you don't need it to be totally waterproof it would make the head easier to turn.

Any thoughts or doe's anyone have experience with this?

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
Have u tried silicon lubricant on the o-ring? The make the head easiler to turn without compromising waterproofness. My tec20 is easily enough to be turned by one hand.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to take the o-rings off my Tec 40 & Rage to be able to turn one handed. TX

redbird

Enlightened
I ended up just taking the o ring off the rage. I would not light consistantly so I will be putting it back on.

I have not been able to find silicone lube yet. Any ideas where to find it. Any brand names?

The Tech 40 needs two hands to make it work and it is new.
mad.gif
confused.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redbird:

I have not been able to find silicone lube yet. Any ideas where to find it. Any brand names?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try this, and click on "sample". An excellent product.
web page

Also look up thread: "Need advice on o ring lube"

Brightnorm

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redbird:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At Radio Shack. It's called Lube Gel - Cat.#: 64-2326, for $2.99

Synco the makers of Super-Lube also manufactures their product under private labels. The back of the Radio Shack Lube Gel shows that it is a Synco product.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
Try this, and click on "sample". An excellent product.
web page
Brightnorm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I filled out the form & never did get anything from them.
frown.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
TX

redbird

Enlightened
Txwest
I hade the same results. I tried to get the sample when the orignal thread was posted.

I guess I will head to Radio Shack, Empath,thanks for the item number it will make things a lot easier

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved samples of Super Lube from that web site. One tube of synthetic PTFE (Teflon?) oil and one tube of grease. I havn`t exactly had good results. Applying one of each to the o-rings in my Tektite Expedition 300 and 1900 has actually damaged them. The oil worked OK to begin with but it freezes up quickly and is very hard to turn again after that. The grease was already hard to turn initially, and dries out real fast- maybe absorbed by the o-rings? I had one ring damaged too when it stretched and kept bunching up and getting caught. I think that was an oiled one not a greased one.

I thought these synthetic lubes were safe to use on all o-rings? Obviously not.

I have, however, been getting good results from the Superlube oil on the tailcap of my Surefire E2 (sssh- don`t tell Al that I`m not using Nyogel on it!). No damage and it turns nicely.

I suppose it`s hit and miss. Superlube isn`t silicone oil though, so maybe the silicone stuff will work OK? I`m afraid I`m not at all a lube expert.

confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

redbird

Enlightened
Well, now I am more confused. I made the trip to RS and bought the Lube Gel but after reading Chris's post I am unsure how to proceed. The lights are new and I would not want to damage them.
confused.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Readily available is Silicon grease at you local Home Depot. Look in the plumbing section, where they have the faucets and washers. They sell "food grade" which works great

fde1d399.jpg

Empath

Flashaholic
Well, now I am more confused. I made the trip to RS and bought the Lube Gel but after reading Chris's post I am unsure how to proceed. The lights are new and I would not want to damage them.
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your TEC 40 is what you're wanting to lube, you won't damage it with the synthetic lube. Actually, you don't need, or want, any lube on the threads. The O ring is the only thing that should be lubed, and that should be done very lightly. If we knew the makeup of the O rings, and whether they can deteriorate with the use of petroleum distillates, we'd know whether synthetic lubes are even necessary.

Just a film of lube is all you want. Anything more will work itself off the O ring and solidify, along with attracting contaminates and create greater seizure problems. I've found that no matter what is used on TEC 20s and 40s, some of them seize within a few hours of use and you have to use both hands to get it started turning freely again. Others never develop that problem. I don't know why the identical products behave differently. It's something different in the individual O rings.

pec50

Enlightened
A source of silicon lube is likely available at your local automotive parts store. It's used in brake applications and the parts counter typically has very small foil packages that they will either provide free of charge or for a very small sum.

artar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:

fde1d399.jpg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i use the same type of grease for my E2. is this OK ?