Laser TV

atm

Enlightened
It looks like Laser TV is going to replace plasma/LCD within the next year or so. Apparently the Laser TVs can reproduce twice as many colours as plasma or LCD and do so with much greater clarity. Better still they should be approx 30% cheaper to make.

Personally I've been hugely underwhelmed by plasma and LCD TVs (picture quality, contrast, refresh rates/blurring, pixellation, etc). Sounds like the laser versions may be a much better option.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/03/business/03hdtv.html?ex=1301716800&en=00dcf2d34532e989&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss

Andrew

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i heard the cheaper part. no really, i heard it!! on TV :p

i saw it too... now i just need to save and buy it to touch it and smell it

(all five senses minus the taste.)

WNG

Enlightened
Plasma's days look numbered.
At least plasma prices will drop, making it more affordable, and keep it marketable.

Nice article Andrew....I'm also underwhelmed with current offerings.
(And very underwhelmed with the current content one can view. UGH!)
LCDs with their dead pixels, blocky emulation for non-native resolution, and poor contrast.
Plasmas with their weight, burn-in, lamp cost, yellowing, inferior sharpness to LCDs.
DLP imho, offers the best combo of performance to price right now.

I'm holding out to see how OLED sets perform...but now this laser-dlp technology demands serious consideration.

Canuke

Enlightened
WNG said:
Plasma's days look numbered.
At least plasma prices will drop, making it more affordable, and keep it marketable.

Nice article Andrew....I'm also underwhelmed with current offerings.
(And very underwhelmed with the current content one can view. UGH!)
LCDs with their dead pixels, blocky emulation for non-native resolution, and poor contrast.
Plasmas with their weight, burn-in, lamp cost, yellowing, inferior sharpness to LCDs.
DLP imho, offers the best combo of performance to price right now.

I'm holding out to see how OLED sets perform...but now this laser-dlp technology demands serious consideration.

Don't forget SED http://hometheater.about.com/b/a/204113.htm

WNG

Enlightened
Canuke said:

Well, although flat, it's really a hybrid of ol' CRT technology. And it's sounds VERY much like FED displays. Which was originally invented by an US firm back in the late 80s early 90s. But they couldn't get any financial backing to launch the product. They were forced to license it away to Samsung and Toshiba.
FED displays are used in nuclear subs, prior to their plans to make it a consumer product. Sad story really. Another USA invention which would have been big step up at the time, from a CRT, lost out due to short-term gain mentality in Wall Street.

Had FED been developed back then, I don't think plasma screens would be on the market these days.
FED: field emission display.