Fenix P1 coating ?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
After using my Fenix P1 for several months now I always carry it in my pocket with keys,change and anything else that will fit. Is it just me or is the coating on these P1s amazing.....mine shows no wear at all.

I may have simply got a good sample however my friend Owen has also noticed the same results with his P1. Is everyone else also having the same results with this light? My L0P showed wear pretty quick with keychain duty however it was in black where my P1 is a natural color. Both of my L1Ps also showed wear fairly quick with pocket carry. Is there something special about the P1 that makes the finish so much more durable?

I have some very high end lights and for the cost none have come close to wearing as well as my little P1

jon1996

Newly Enlightened
HA III is a tough *** coating, I have a Nuwai QIII and the HAII just will not hold up to dropping and abuse like the HAIII will, But I still love my QIII, I have yet to get a P! but I think I got one worked out in a trade here, I will let you know how I like it when I get it,
jon

T4R06

Enlightened
maybe you got the newer version of P1 like mine, i am absolutely amazed when i put the small ring (claw holder) to the small hole. not even a single scratch on it.

Walt175

Enlightened
I've read 2 things that might account for this.

1. Fenix has improved their HA.
2. Natural HA is more durable then black.

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I'll also concur. My natural colored P1 rides in my small jeans pocket and I havent seen any wear from rubbing at all. It could be that the natural coating doesnt show much scratches like black would.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
natural hides it more, I with they made natural an option for all their lights.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
My P1 has been on my keyring for a month or so now, and with my bare eyes I can't see any scratches on it at all.

Martini

Enlightened
I used to hear that natural was tougher than black, but 4sevens says he thinks that Fenix's black is tougher. Maybe people were comparing Type II black and Type III natural (some lights, like the Luxogen LR5, come in both of these finishes). I'm not sure any objective testing has been done in this department. I'm not volunteering to beat up my own lights. :anyone:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
jon1996 said:
HA III is a tough *** coating, I have a Nuwai QIII and the HAII just will not hold up to dropping and abuse like the HAIII will, But I still love my QIII, I have yet to get a P! but I think I got one worked out in a trade here, I will let you know how I like it when I get it,
jon

HA III is a reduntant term. Type III Hard Coat Anodize can be simply abbreviated HA for Hard Anodize. There is no such thing as "HAII" since Type II anodize is not a Hard Anodize.

And yes, it is a very tough coating.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read reports in a german knife forum, where owners of P1's were not happy about the coating.

It seems, that Fenix has learned (like the new versions of the switches on the L-P models) and modified their coatings.:twothumbs

I would wish, SF would react so quick of quality problems.

Best regards

___
Tom

Latest posts