Why doesn't my perfect light exist?

teststrips

Enlightened
All I want is a light with the following specs:
- 18650 or 17670 body - for awesome runtime
- No big head (head same size as body - think fenix L1P but bigger)
- Pocket clip - has to be good quality (tail up carry - I simply don't get tail down carry)
- driven by FluPic or something similar
- switched by clickie

This IMO would be my perfect EDC, but I don't think anything close even exists. If only I had some machining skillz...

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
custom make?

i would want one... using those new super smaill optics, we could make one...with a tight beam too(or flood if you want...) flupic will make no sense here though..it is a buck...

well, we need a boost circuit like those of the fenix L0P SE.

Walt175

Enlightened
Just wait till Goldserve releases his new model. It's a FLuPIC with a built in boost converter to allow the use of primaries!
It should make your dream flashlight much easier to build.

teststrips

Enlightened
Walt175 said:
Just wait till Goldserve releases his new model. It's a FLuPIC with a built in boost converter to allow the use of primaries!

At the cost of sounding dumb, why would I need a boost converter with 18650 or 17670 cells - they would be 3.7v li-ions.

thinking a little more about it, this would be FFIII like, with a longer battery tube, a pocket clip, and a clickie option.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Teststrips: I too prefer tail-up clips, but...

One reason that a tail down clip is useful is that you can clip it to the bill of a cap for an improvised headlamp.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walt175 said:

When's he making this I've been waiting for news like this. His Flupic was a good idea and so was his fluPig. The Piggyback FluPig just never took off. I can't wait for his new flupic with a boost circuit. Then maybe I'll finally be able to make my Fenix turn in to a HDS and be able to keep using 1AA.

teststrips

Enlightened
LED_Thrift said:
Teststrips: I too prefer tail-up clips, but...

One reason that a tail down clip is useful is that you can clip it to the bill of a cap for an improvised headlamp.

I honestly can't remember the last time I wore a hat - I'll keep the tail-up config.

@carrot - the most important of my specs (which wasn't mentioned before) is the tail up pocket clip... that huntlight looks nice, just wouldn't work for me.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
teststrips said:
- Pocket clip - has to be good quality (tail up carry - I simply don't get tail down carry)
- switched by clickie

This IMO would be my perfect EDC, but I don't think anything close even exists. If only I had some machining skillz...
Teststrips, how about this? Take an HDS with a two cell battery extension and convert it to bezel down. You could avoid attach the clip with heat shrink, putting the grippy side on the inside. I'd put some kind of buffer between the clip and the flashlight to avoid scratching the anodizing. If you don't like it, the mod is totally reversible.

teststrips

Enlightened
Are HDS lights still available anywhere, or do I have to take my chances on BST? Has anyone converted their HDS the RIGHT way, by tapping, etc?

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
- switched by clickie

glockboy beat me to it. Check out the Chamelion or Lionheart with a slim head and 18650 body.

Almost exactly what your looking for. :grin2:

MSax

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an 18650 battery for my Huntlight FT 01...and this is an excellent setup! 55 to 60 lumens- a great even spot and wide bright spill. I can't spot deer at 200 yards, but it's an easy carry (holster) ....too big for a pocket clip so I took it off. Around home and at work this is as close to perfect if you want cheap, long battery life, and impressive brightness in a nice looking and solid light. Gee, Maybe Burley should hire me for a sales assistant!

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthouse one said:
I just got an 18650 battery for my Huntlight FT 01...and this is an excellent setup! 55 to 60 lumens- a great even spot and wide bright spill. I can't spot deer at 200 yards, but it's an easy carry (holster) ....too big for a pocket clip so I took it off. Around home and at work this is as close to perfect if you want cheap, long battery life, and impressive brightness in a nice looking and solid light. Gee, Maybe Burley should hire me for a sales assistant!
I saw the Huntlight FT 01 online, but I thought something must be up. It seemed too good to be true at that price. Maybe I'll check it out.

Walt175

Enlightened
teststrips said:
At the cost of sounding dumb, why would I need a boost converter with 18650 or 17670 cells - they would be 3.7v li-ions.

Sorry, I don't use those and didn't realize they were 3.7v.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm...what can i say...

ok, you see, they aren't really 3.7V they come out of the charger at 4.2V and slowly discharge itself to around 4.1V to 4V. because we like brightness we usually drive the luxIII or lux V or the new K2 at at least 750 and more of the time at 1A or 1.5A.
drawing that much current from the cell will make its voltage sag( to around 3.8? someone confirm this plz).

also... not all Luxeon are binned at 3.7V; they can be lower or higher e.g. most K2 have their voltage bin above 4V.