Most outlandish thing you've thought up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
This thread is for whacky or outlandish devices you've thought up. It is not necessary for you to have made a prototype.

My outlandish device:
I drew something in the 7th or 8th grade that I called the "TVA Light Bulb Destructor", in which a hydraulic piston affair slowly came down on light bulbs while they were burning base-down in receptacles at the bottom of the device.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, never really was into devices and modding till I became a flashaholic, and the most 'outlandish' thing I've thought up (which is of course a flashlight) is using the Osram 18kw bulb in some flashlight with a backpack battery as the power source.

It would be like a Ghostbuster setup except the gun would be a flashlight with a huge reflector and the backpack would be the battery source.

Canuke

Enlightened
270winchester said:
a dark green Volve turbo bio-diesel hybrid ZEV station wagon for a around-the-town car. Safe, gas-efficient, eco-friendly, ultilitarian, and has a color that's sure to please the eco-conscious crowd.

You sound just like my girlfriend. That is her precise automotive wishlist!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh it doesn't have to be a light? well then, remember R. Crumb's "bathtubmobile" ? probly not. well that's it,
I think it would be really great to drive around while having a good soak, safe too.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a high powered laser to cut grass.

Igniting a balloon filled with a stichometric (spelling?) mix of oxygen and natural gas as an alarm clock. (nothing wakes one up in the morning better than a loud explosion)

Exploding cigarette used to make people quit (well, I later found out the exploding cigarette is already a very old prank)

Rocket propelled swimsuit (I'm not very good at swimming)

I drew something in the 7th or 8th grade that I called the "TVA Light Bulb Destructor", in which a hydraulic piston affair slowly came down on light bulbs while they were burning base-down in receptacles at the bottom of the device.
I think that's how they recycle fluorescent or HID lamps now; a machine crushes them and some sort of "vacuum" is supposed to capture the gasses released. The glass and the metal bits are probably sorted out using a centerfuge type device; I saw a similar machine used for CRT monitors on a Hull Howser show where he visited a electronics recycler.

Last edited:

wmpwi

Enlightened
A partial list includes:
Adjustable polarized sunglasses in 1976
An electronic camera with LCD shutter back in 1978
Computerized online multi listing service for used cars in 1980
A built-in anti-theft device for disabling a motor vehicle from remote in 1981
Scratch & Sniff appetite suppressant stickers in 1983
Case law on CD Rom for law firms in 1985
Golf spike wrench adapter for a rechargeable screwdriver in 1990
Anti-theft alarm system for golf clubs in 1993
The list goes on and on, but it hurts my head just to think about this stuff again.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
"Water Lingerie" for women to wear in hot-tubs during romantic circumstances.

Not just a swim-suit, but actual lingerie with materials and construction optimized for being worn while wet.

What can I say? It was one seriously warped, (but good!) dream...:rock:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
While I can't claim credit for it since my late father thought of it here's my entry-a bridge across the Atlantic Ocean. I think we were discussing ways to cross the ocean without flying which would be faster than ship. I mentioned that even by car it would still take two days to cross. His idea to reduce the crossing time was to have the cars running on conveyor belts moving at 100 mph or so. :laughing: This would cut the crossing time by more than half. Of course, I mentioned what a hair-brained scheme the whole idea was. The power to run the conveyors would have been enormous, it would have been impossible to anchor a bridge in water that deep, you would need refueling and rest stops, the whole thing would cost ten times the GNP of the US, etc. He still thought it was a great idea. :lolsign:

The funny thing about all this is that a variation on the theme may well be practical in about 20 or 30 years as we run out of fossil fuels. Some have proposed a maglev running in an evacuated concrete tube. The tube would be bouyant but anchored to the ocean bottom via cables. It would be roughly 100 feet under sea level. Maglev trains would traverse NYC to London in under an hour while using two orders of magnitude less energy than flying. Cost is estimated in the hundreds of billions but it would save many times that in energy costs. Land for airports would be freed up for housing. Noise and pollution from airliners would be a thing of the past. It would be way safer than flying.

Sometimes an outlandish idea isn't so bad after all if it can be refined into something practical.

taiji

Enlightened
a more recent idea is to make a family sized hot air ballon to sell to people to who live out on the coast. The idea is to use these ballons as a get-a-way should a tsunami is detected. Anticipating that the local highways will collapse in the earthquake, firing up the ballons is the next best route. These ballons will be tethered to the ground with the ability to detach.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 75-foot desert highspeed transport and habitation vehicle for post-apocalyptic times. I call it Apocalypse Now.
  • Rolls-Royce/Turbomeca RTM322 3000shp turboshaft engine
  • 2.5MWh rechargeable silver-zinc battery bank - see http://www.zmp.com/press/IDF06safe_alt.html
  • Supply storage and berths for 6 people for 6 months, or 28 people for 4 weeks in wallbunks
  • Hermetically sealed, with front and rear airlocks
  • Solar cell bank on the roof
  • Retractable universal communication system
  • Electric scout car with a 450km/hr topspeed and enough storage (silver zinc bank again) for 5 hours at top speed
  • Three-foot wide carbon fiber treads - the stuff is very flexible when used with the right bonding agents.
  • Bacteria generating extra fuel (Biogas) for the engine to extend runtime
Now for the lighting aspect.
  • Four AN/VSS-1 spotlights, one mounted on each side, in tandem with the gatling guns, one on top at the front, one on top at the back - all retractable.
  • Retractable mercury-arc floodlight system that lights up everything in a 30 metre radius.
Weaponry.
  • Twin side-mounted highspeed gatling guns - 900rpm (Rounds per Minute), retractable, 9000 rounds stored. bullets are 0.5in diameter, 3in long. Targets are lit by the side-mounted spotlights.
  • Rapid-fire rocket unit with infra-red, optical, radar, lidar and ultraviolet targeting system. storage for 100 rockets, each 1.5 feet long and three inches in diameter.
There's more, but i think i've said enuff.

--neg

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is anecdotal but my dad made up the drawings for a special function truck cab just for transporting full rolls of carpeting. The cab was only half wide with room for just the driver. On the right side the "bed" went all the way to the front bumper for the extra long rolls. One of his employees stole the papers and applied for and got a patent before my dad even realized his drawing were pilfered. Now you can see these cab designs on a lot of lumber trucks. Moral?? Keep your ideas close to your chest just like your cards in poker.
Me? I had the idea of making a super high mileage vehicle with an enclosure just for one person with a motorcycle drive unit from the engine back and a body made of fiberglass with one door like the early BMWs with the suicide door smack dab in the front. I had planned on having mostly flat panels make up the body for simplicity but then Northrup or Rockwell patented the f117s radar deflecting flat panel design. See what I mean??? :(

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Not my idea, but the notion of a "space elevator" always seemed like a natural. Seems like having one on Earth with its active atmosphere would be extra tricky, but maybe for the Moon.

Geoff

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a physics demonstration in class today reminded me of my CD launcher. I made one out of a drive assembly from a broken APEX dvd player and the power supply for a HO scale train. The idea; spin the cd to an extreamly high speed then have the tray slide open and release the disc.

I shattered a couple AOL cds with it. :grin2:

Status
Not open for further replies.