Cree XR-E 160 lumen LED?

Loomy

Enlightened
PS: CR2 Ion should be able to have an XRE dropped right in, so that's best first use of one that I can think of. I'd do it if I had an Ion :eek:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Loomy said:
PS: CR2 Ion should be able to have an XRE dropped right in, so that's best first use of one that I can think of. I'd do it if I had an Ion :eek:

Endeavour should take a note of this, if it is indeed feasible. I'll be all over a true 50 lumen Ion(with typical 80 lumens at 350mAh, if that's true) in a second. the output of the Ion is what's keeping me from buying one right now, I've been waiting for the rumored storm of upcoming LEDs for a few months now...

metalhed

Enlightened
I suspect that as LED efficiencies increase, the focus for flashlights will change somewhat.

Right now, most manufacturers and modders seem to be interested in the 'more power, more light' approach to flashlight building. This has led to problems with heat and problems with developing more powerful battery technologies to supply high-power LEDs...including safety problems and explosions.

As we see higher efficiencies, perhaps makers will focus on getting the most out of current battery technology. With a stated 85 lumens at 350 ma, waste heat has obviously been directed into photon creation in this new LED. That means longer LED life and longer runtimes. It also means these kinds of chips will expand the plastic/polymer bodied flashlight selection, since a heavy heatsink won't be nearly as important.

[quote:Manzerick]
WOW!!!!!

The wheel is reinvented once again!

[/quote]

That's what helps keep flashlights fun...the future!

:eek: Shameless plug follows....you can also find the press release here:

Cree Delivers the First 160-Lumen White Power LED

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumileds is actually way behind when it comes to efficiency, and their new K2 is a step backwards at this point. The highest binned LuxIII and LuxV's smoke the K2 for efficiency.

Sable

Enlightened
Not that I have an ounce of modding skill, but I wonder what you'd have to do to get one of those buggers at work in a GatLight...

The CR2 Ion is just a little too dinky for me - are there any other good Cree lights that the XR-E might be a drop-in for? :D

josean

Newly Enlightened
I would like to request a sample, but after having read the elegibility criteria, I'm affraid I have no possibilities. :rant:

I want mine too!!!!!

x2x3x2

Banned
cant wait till fenix/huntlight or some other china manufacturers get on these :)

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 5 of them on order and my four McR19 Flood reflectors have been shipped. Planning on running four of them in a Mag Mod at 500mA each or all four driven at 6.6 watts. Over 400 lumens at the LEDs... could not pass this one up. As long as I can focus them by screwing around with the McR19, things will get entertaining.

Yes, I will play with the regulator to see what 700mA does :D

VoiToi

Newly Enlightened
I can't wait, I have ordered 6 pieces.
I hope they will catch the same plane as Julian's one. :sold:

Last edited:

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
as if you were just finishing the first one and hope nobody will notice.)

:lolsign:

I hope your mentioned delivery time of 4 days has not increased:whistle:

Regards,

Julez

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
While this is great just wait until the improvements from Cree's 131 lm/W lab experiment trickle into production in 12 to 18 months. You'll have LEDs with 150 lumens at 350 mA and ~250 lumens at 700 mA. The good times are just getting started! :rock: