simple LED resistor question

freddotu

Newly Enlightened
I've scanned through what I think are the appropriate sections and didn't come up with an answer. It's probably out there, but my keyword selection didn't yield any success.

I suppose this could be considered a flashlight... It's a single yellow LED powered by a 3v lithium flat disk cell, a CR2032, I think. The item is used to illuminate a bike computer mounted on the handlebars.

I have 12vdc available (13.7 nominal) and would like to bypass the lithium cell. Mechanically, it's not a problem, but I understand that I should have a current limiting resistor in the circuit.

I cannot determine visually if there is already a resistor in the circuit, but would there be, with only 3v powering the light? Perhaps that question displays my limited understanding of LED circuits.

I have the capability of installing the resistor in series with the LED or in parallel, but which is the proper method?

What value and what power rating (?) resistor do I need for such a modification?

thanks in advance for your consideration

fred

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably no resistor in that existing circuit. You can use this calculator to get an idea of the resistor needed.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Assume 3 volt forward voltage and 30 mA drive current and you get a 1/2 watt 330 ohm resistor. That resistor will be consuming 3 times as much power as the LED will. Pretty wasteful, but if you have plenty of 12v capacity it should not be an issue.

freddotu

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping for such an answer. I tried the calculators in the thread, but I lack any of the parameters and also the proper knowledge to use them. You noted a 1/2 watt resistor, but my stash of leftover electronic goodies only contain 1/4 watt resistors. I do remember how to combine resistors in series and parallel, so if I put matching pairs in series/parallel, will that give me 1/2 watt capacity?

Barring that, I think Radio Shack no longer sells real electronic components in our local stores. Is there a small parts source on the internet for two or three of the 330 ohm 1/2 watt resistors?

thanks for such quick responses. Just for entertainment value, this lighting device will allow me to read my bike computer and Drain Brain in my electric-assist velomobile when the rain cover is on and/or it's too dark otherwise. I have a 5ah 12v NiMH aux pack for lights and alarm system, and a 13ah 36v NiMH for assist.

fred

wasBlinded said:
Probably no resistor in that existing circuit. You can use this calculator to get an idea of the resistor needed.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Assume 3 volt forward voltage and 30 mA drive current and you get a 1/2 watt 330 ohm resistor. That resistor will be consuming 3 times as much power as the LED will. Pretty wasteful, but if you have plenty of 12v capacity it should not be an issue.

p.s. I just searched Radio Shack and found they still do sell resistors, specifically the value and rating noted, in five packs for less than a buck. I'll be pedaling my velomobile right past one of those places tomorrow and will have to stop in and see what they have!

Last edited:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if the LED then seems too dim or too bright, adjust the resistor down or up a bit to suit.

gorn

Enlightened
Radio Shack has a real limited supply of resistors. You might be lucky. I had to go to my local Fry's Electronics to get the resistors I needed for an LED project.

freddotu

Newly Enlightened
I want to thank all of you for your support. I was able to snag a couple packages of resistors at ye olde radio shack. After dinner today, I assembled the usual suspects and the result is quite satisfactory. I could not detect any increase or decrease in brightness when running on 12v.

I'm looking forward to my next pre-dawn or post dusk ride to see how it checks out in the real world.

thanks again

fred

Latest posts