Postal truck burned to the axles with my SPY005 in it!

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had great fortune with shipping, only losing one X bin light sent to Australia out of all the shipping I've done.

However a S. CA postal truck burned to the axles with my SPY005 and an Aleph LE that I was just sending for someone to check out. It wasn't a sales. How often do postal trucks burn to the ground? I'm really bummed since that was my last SPY. Anyhow this same carrier I believe was on the job when a box of proto parts was lost. She takes weeks to deliver priority mail and refused to take the deliveries to the businesses, just leaving notices etc... They took the truck away for inspection, but she's still on the job!:rant:

I feel like an idiot shipping something just for the interest of someone enjoying it, but isn't that what this hobby is about? At the same time I am glad it wasn't a light someone had purchased. Oh well.

Illum

Flashaholic
never heard of a truck burn to bare axles before, let along a postal truck, wow...:awman:

You have my condolence for your lost light.:awman:

Bogus1 said:
I feel like an idiot shipping something just for the interest of someone enjoying it, but isn't that what this hobby is about? At the same time I am glad it wasn't a light someone had purchased. Oh well.

Its noble for you to feel otheres should enjoy your lights, but usually if its your only light and at such a price I would be more careful moving it from one place to another, especially when the going is unpredictable.:candle:

Sounds like you need to file a complaint to the postal office, if this has happened once already [lost part, not burnt truck] she has no excuse.:scowl:

Mischief[LTS]

Newly Enlightened
lol, postal trucks carry stuff inside them, unlike most regular trucks people buy just to look badass. if theres flammable stuff inside the truck, thats probably why it burned to the ground!

really shitty about your lights. im guessing you had no insurance on them.. that sucks, always insure your package

Last edited:

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah, if I had paid insurance on all my packages it would have cost more than probably 3x my losses to date. That's the risk. However there have been a cluster of incidents with this one post office and in fact with this one clerk. We're going to use UPS from that office probably from now on. I know the postal inspectors are looking into it. Who knows, mabye I'll have a SPY to post what it looks like after a misadventure. I'm trying to see if I can't have them send me the remains.

I'll tell you what though, I am very relieved I didn't have any batteries in my package!

Last edited:

havand

Enlightened
If it TRUY burnt to the ground, the aluminum is probably toast (What's the melting point of 6061 aluminum?). Dunno. It would be cool to have a fire survivor...Just to show people. Sorry about your light :( It seems unlikely that a mailtruck would just 'burn to the ground.' It is filled with a crapload of paper though. :awman: Anyway, Sorry again.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow tough luck but it makes a neat story and claim to fame. This is like the anti-lottery. I would think that the chances of having a particular postal item get burned up in a truck is about as low as winning the lottery. I assume postal trucks don't burn to the ground every day.

VWTim

Enlightened
Fwiw, I HATE USPS insurance. I'm in the middle of fighting a claim right now. I provide their documents, they say they're the wrong ones then deny my claim.

Sorry to hear about the loss, but it's the kindness of these forums that keeps me around.

tsl

Enlightened
Bogus1 said:
However a S. CA postal truck burned to the axles with my SPY005 and an Aleph LE that I was just sending for someone to check out. It wasn't a sales. How often do postal trucks burn to the ground? I'm really bummed since that was my last SPY. Anyhow this same carrier I believe was on the job when a box of proto parts was lost. She takes weeks to deliver priority mail and refused to take the deliveries to the businesses, just leaving notices etc... They took the truck away for inspection, but she's still on the job!:rant:

Eric, sorry to hear about your loss. I've heard of a UPS tractor trailer burning to the ground (my company had a lot of packages on it), but not a postal carrier truck. Doesn't sound like this carrier has the best of attitudes either.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the sympathy. As geepondy points out it's the anti lottery. It's just ridiculous. I still can't believe it happened and somehow still expect to get a call to hear it arrived. I guess I'm in denial:)

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your lights. Does USPS give money to compensate or what? Actually, seeing how its USPS, most likely not. I wonder how a truck is actually left long enough unnoticed to burn to the ground.

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
UPS isn't always better. If any of you remember the UPS Plane that caught fire after landing earlier this year, I had several overnight packages on it that were sent to customers of another business I am involved in. Anyway several thousand dollars of items destroy (only a little insured). It is just part of the risk we take, you never know what might happen.

Sorry to hear about your loss, it really stinks to lose anything, especially when you have absolutely no control over the situation.

Illum

Flashaholic
glockboy said:
Did you leave your light on when you shipped it? :grin2:
j/k
Sorry to hear about your loss.

pretty bad time to joke dont you think? :thinking:

So far I never had any problems with USPS...other than the lack of real-time tracking of packages back when everything is via UPS:ohgeez: