recomend me a torch or 2 please

username5

Newly Enlightened
Hello flashlight geeks.

I appreciate the passion and knowledge you all have regarding all things light related so I am hoping you will take the time to recomend a purchase for me.

I enjoy geocaching and with the shortening of days upon me need to have a good flashlight to continue my forays into the woods as darkness envelops me.

I have done some research and understand the basic concepts. I have also ordered a
Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon LED thinking this should serve me well for seeing the trails ahead, bushwacking and finding the micro caches stuck inside hollowed out areas of trees or under rocks or whatever.

Wondering though if a headlamp such as the Princeton Tec Apex wouldn't be a better choice?

What I really want is a light with at least 4 hours of useable light. I want a light that can punch out 100ft with authority if I need to see something at a distance, but also a light that is good at lighting up my path directly in front of me without killing my nightvision once the light is off.

Am I mad or is there such a creation?

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello username5 and welcome at CPF:)

Since you have ordered the SL, which is a good thrower for it's price and size, what's your price range for the second one and which type of batts do you prefer?

Perhaps the SL with high capacity nimh cells and spare alks will fit all your needs?

Best regards

____
Tom

username5

Newly Enlightened
Long John said:
Hello username5 and welcome at CPF:)

Thanks! :rock:

Since you have ordered the SL, which is a good thrower for it's price and size, what's your price range for the second one and which type of batts do you prefer?

Well, I don't really have a price range, but I do have a wife, if you catch my drift. I am not interested in spending over $100 for a light for geocaching, but would consider pretty much anything worthy up to that point.

I would dearly love to use AA batteries as that is what darn near every other battery operated device I own uses and I love the Energizer 15 minute charger that has me out the door in no time. This also allows me to have backup non rechargeables just in case.

I want good far, mid and close range performance, but if I can get it without going to exploding batteries :thumbsdow (CR123s) I would prefer it.

Perhaps the SL with high capacity nimh cells and spare alks will fit all your needs?

Very well may, haven't recieved it yet so don't know. I am hoping the light is white and not that awful (to my eyes) blue I see with my cheap LEDs.

The thing is I read the SL was a good thrower and I want that, but I suspect that most of the time I will value a bright, midrange spiller.

That was why I didn't initially spend $70 on the PT Apex as what I read suggested it was good for throw with the 3 watt LED and good for close range with the 4 LEDs, but lacked in the midrange. I figured I would try a less expensive, but well thought of light first.

I imagine that I will like the SL no matter what, but not sure if it will be my ideal in the brush where I really want versitality in a single light. Close up without blinding me, good spill in the midrange and good throw for distance. Y'know, everything in a single torch :grin2: