Difference between new (fixed) and old (faulty) Gladius tailcaps

treasurydept

Newly Enlightened
How can I tell the difference between the new (fixed) and old (faulty) Gladius tailcaps just by looking at them. Does the old one rattle or have any distinct features?

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
The serial over 5000 is only an idication on the Black Gladius that is is HA. There is no way to tell by serial number about the tailcap :( The only way to know for sure is if the light is in the new, smaller packaging. There were some in the old packaging that had new tailcaps, but all of them in the new package are g2g.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possible dumb question/clarification - by new packaging, do you mean the almost-square plastic boxes that are roughly 5x5", compared to the earlier larger boxes with the carry-handle molded into one edge?

Eight

Newly Enlightened
I am curious as well. I got my first Gladius today. Came in the plastic box with a handle (looks like a Glock box). My tailcap rattles (a lot). Wondering if I should call Night-Ops about it. The light works fine, otherwise. I have a friend with a Gladius, and his tailcap is rock-solid.

Paladin

Enlightened
My OD Galdius arrived today as well. Slight rattle in the OLD STYLE tailcap, even though the s/n was 159xxM. All functions work perfectly! Package was the "carry handle" version, not the later square box. Cells dated 08-2015 FWIW. The newer style cap has some material machined away from where it meets the battery tube. The difference is very slight, and was done to prevent tolerances from stacking up and causing issues. The tailcaps that work out of the box should be good to go, rattle notwithstanding. The finish sure looks like HA to me, there are even slight color variations between the "parts" like with Surefire bezels/body/switches.

But the gods of luminosity were NOT smiling on me this day. The newly arrived OD Gladius has a bit of silver looking debris stuck to the underside of the front lens. The non-dissasemble bezel! So it will be winging it's way to Montana tommorow, where it will be quickly made right. Maybe I'll whine a wee bit about the tailcap rattle, since it will already be there...

Paladin

ps, wow, the Falcata 9 volt light feels heavy, even though it weighs almost the exact weight as my favored KL3/9P setup. Tailcap draw right at 1.25 amps, probably throwing a little over 100 lumens, no beam artifacts, the reflector has a fair amount of stippling. Tossed the rubber "wings" right in the junk box. happy to note it is a very sweet combo installed in the Modulock holster provided with the Gladius. the extra length makes pulling the light free very natural and easy.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
g2g = good to go?
tacticalsupply.com said:
The serial over 5000 is only an idication on the Black Gladius that is is HA. There is no way to tell by serial number about the tailcap :( The only way to know for sure is if the light is in the new, smaller packaging. There were some in the old packaging that had new tailcaps, but all of them in the new package are g2g.