PayPal Question Please

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice that a lot of sellers require cash-only paypal payments from verified adresses.

Can someone please explain the risk of selling to someone using:

1) a credit card paypal account

2) a non-verified adress?

Thanks

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
On ebay the buyer is protected (fairly well) if they use PayPal. The seller accepting the PayPal is protected if they do a bunch of things: shipping only to a verified address and using a trackable shipping method are two of the main ones. So sellers may choose to only ship to verified addresses to protect themselves from people who claim they didn't get the item etc.

Greg

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other reason for Cash Only paypal payments is if the seller only has a personal account. A personal account has no fees to accept payments but cannot accept credit card funded payments. A premiere account can take credit card funded payments but has an approximate 3% fee charged on all payments, including cash ones. Some sellers have one of each type. They only use the premiere account for the credit card transactions and pay the fee on each one. And they direct all the cash transactions to the personal account where there are no fees.

savumaki

Enlightened
PP ads claim you can send money to anyone with an email address; if you use a cc to fund the payment the 3% or whatever is deducted from the amount you are sending so why does the recipient need a special account ???

Lightmeup

Enlightened
A seller cannot specify cash-only PP in an eBay auction. eBay's terms specify that if PP is offered as a payment option, then the seller must accept credit card payments through PP, which means they will have to upgrade their accounts to premiere if they are only personal.

Darell

Flashaholic
Atomic6 said:
I notice that a lot of sellers require cash-only paypal payments from verified adresses.

Can someone please explain the risk of selling to someone using:

1) a credit card paypal account
As others have said... this has nothing to do with risk. Has everything to do with needing to upgrade to a premium account that charges for every transaction.

The whole concept bothers me, as I was a Paypal member back when their byline was, "never a fee to accept money." At that time, their promise was to take their cut on the "float." I guess they now take it on the float AND the fees.