Christmas LED's?

bestcounsel

Enlightened
I am already seeing Christmas stuff put up at stores. I have been wanting to buy led Christmas lights for some time now.

What are your thoughts?

Any particular brands etc...

What say you?

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Do you mean red and green LED lights ... or general purpose LED lights as Christmas presents?

I'm already doing the latter. :)

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
Yes, they are out already, seems earlier every year! I don't know how much you know about LEDs in general, so I'll briefly address many aspects of the topic, then follow with a condensed listing of sources and types.

LEDs take on average about a half to a tenth (or less!) as much power for comparable light levels with incans, depending on color. The blues are especially striking, being MUCH brighter and more saturated than similar incans. They last practically forever, though you will get the rare defect LED that soon goes dark. The performance/cost ratio has really climbed in the last couple years. Reliability and features have gone up, while price has dropped.

The standby is Forever Bright (put out by Holiday Creations). These are superior in that they have molded bases which (usually) preclude water from corroding the LED leads. (Other suppliers are starting to come out with molded ones as well.) They are available online from various sources (Christmas Treasures, Inirgee, inc (Imaginary Colours), Brite-lite.com, and probably others. The best-known brick-and-mortar sources for these are Costco and Lowe's, though I'm sure others exist, some of which may not yet have put out their lights. Also, it seems Mill's Fleet Farm carries these in 25 and 35-light sizes.

These two stores do not both carry the same products. Costco has multi (which includes a very beautiful saturated fuchsia!), red, and warm white (actually about 3500K) in 100's, while Lowe's has the 25's and 70's in multi and various solid colors. Lowe's offerings include bridge rectification to greatly reduce the characteristic flickering common to LED Christmas lights. (Though this isn't even listed as a feature on the package!) :huh2: Walgreens has some orange Halloween ones. Expect to pay 12 to 15 dollars for 70 to 100 lights. They come in styles such as cone (strawberry) globe (razzberry), traditional (mini ice), and C7 shapes.

Non-molded-base types are giving stiff competition. Living in usually (though not always) dry Tucson, Arizona, I haven't noticed much corrosion on these. This type is generally a bit cheaper, typically costing 7 to 12 dollars for 60 lights, depending on diffuser cover and store. They are available in various colors, shapes, and string lengths at ACE Hardware, Big Lots, Wal Mart, Target, and Sam's Club, and probably others. These often have the same shapes as the Forever Brights, but also come in "Dome", which is the native T 1 3/4 LED package. They are also sometimes available in the T 1 3/4 inverted-dome wide-angle package (Wal Mart and Sam's Club).

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions! :huh:

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
No problem, thanks!

A couple nights ago, I noticed that The Home Depot now carries LED Christmas lights (not Forever Bright), for the first time ever! (at least in Tucson.) They have various-shaped bright 60-lite strings, 25-lite C9s (not very bright), a pretty convincing clear plastic molded icicles string in blue, AND a multifunction/ sequenced 60-lite set w/ red, green and blue inverted-cone LEDs! Their sets are all in the $6.00 to $11.00 range.

Have fun, this seems to be the year many stores break down and start carrying these!:grin2:

Last edited:

bestcounsel

Enlightened
Christmas is my favorite time of the year! I am going to buy led lights, but just want to know what you guys thought of them.

Thanks lyyyghtmaster that was some good stuff. Based on the info you gave me, i may give the forever brights a shot.

I might buy the blue icicle's....

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
bestcounsel said:
I am already seeing Christmas stuff put up at stores. I have been wanting to buy led Christmas lights for some time now.

What are your thoughts?

Any particular brands etc...

What say you?

Just saw some at Sams Club. Yikes are they bright !!!!!!

Thehappyman

Canuke

Enlightened
I'm not that sold on Foreverbrights anymore.

A friend of mine has a string of blues that he's had on since last year, and of the 35 lights, seven are dead and one is barely on. At the Costco I visited last Saturday, two of the 70 lights in their demonstrator unit were quite dim, and that only been lit for a month or so. Given that you can't replace them, that sucks big time IMO.

Philips how has their stock in at Target, and they've expanded the selection a little, but not as much as I'd hoped.

I also discovered that Philips is selling two different types of LED ropelight. The ones being sold now for the holidays come in blue boxes, while there are (or were) a different line in gold-colored boxes sold during the off-season. The biggest difference between these is that the gold one have a rectifier built-in to the power cord, while the holiday ones appear to lack it. Even worse, they do not interconnect -- the holiday ones have incompatible connectors. So much for hooking them up to the rectified cable. This is disappointing, as I was hoping that Philips was going to include the rectifier in the holiday lights, but no luck.