Gladius Experiment = success!

luigi

Enlightened
Gave my wife a spoon.
"I will be standing here and your mission is to touch me with the spoon before I touch your head"
Wife advanced with the spoon, pulled my Gladius in strobe mode, activated the flashlight. She froze in the middle of the way.
I advanced towards her.
Touched her in the head.
"whaaaaaat?"
"I never knew you were coming!"

Gladius strobe experiment = success!!!

Luigi

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can also attest that the strobe worked on an attacking chihuahua. :laughing:

Not so sure about larger preditors, but I'd rather have it with me than not.

peace

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
I guess that's proof that a flashlight can really be used for SD as long as its not expected as we react much more to unexpected stimuli.

luigi said:
Gave my wife a spoon.
"I will be standing here and your mission is to touch me with the spoon before I touch your head"
Wife advanced with the spoon, pulled my Gladius in strobe mode, activated the flashlight. She froze in the middle of the way.
I advanced towards her.
Touched her in the head.
"whaaaaaat?"
"I never knew you were coming!"

Gladius strobe experiment = success!!!

Luigi

luigi

Enlightened
I turned off my living room lights but left the TV on.
I must point out that the second experiment wasn't as succesful as the first one, but the first one was a huge success so the surprise factor is really important.

PhotonWrangler said:
What was the ambient light situation during your test? (Strobe/Ambient ratio)

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Excellent! Of course, had I done that to my wife, she would have beaten me to death with the spoon - or a frying pan!:laughing:

ChristophW

Newly Enlightened
"surprise factor is really important"

thats the thing. Without the surprise-factor the strobe is really ok but with surprise its gigantic.

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
powernoodle said:
Not so sure about larger preditors, but I'd rather have it with me than not.

My wife is a larger predator and it worked on her the first time. However, I think if I do it too many times the flashlight will end up somewhere really dark. :eek:

It's a shame there aren't more flashlights with the feature.

Blazer

Enlightened
I know I'm waking up an old thread, but remembered this story a few nights ago and thought I'd post my home-made experiment with the Gladius Strobe here.

My 2.5 year old daughter likes to play hide and seek. I like to hide with my gladius then when she finds me, chase her with the strobe. She runs back to Mommy and Daddy's room and jumps on the bed to hide under the pillow. Anyway, the other night we're playing and I decided to keep the house lights low (getting darker earlier in the evenings now) and see what effect the Gladius would have on her. Every time she ran around a corner she would glance off the wall, ie. she had trouble judging the distance to make the turn into the hallway because the strobe was disorienting. It was kinda cool, only because she didn't hurt herself and actually seemed to enjoy it more in the darkened house.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
My "Experiments" :)

1. Went to laserforce one night with some mates. Didn't play show and tell with my new gladius until I lit them up with it during the game.
Victim number A: like a Roo in the headlights of a landcruiser: he froze and eyes nicely glazed over :)
Victim number B: Used the Gladius as a beacon to home in on. I became victim number 2 :(
Victim number C: Ooops, not one of my friends. Stands like a stunned Plover, says "What the hell was that" when I disappear into the shadows and the next game we all got a lecture on "Don't use torches in the game!"

2. Gladius V Berman cat, Doberman and Silky Terrier: Cat jumps back over fence(might have been helped by the dark shallow yelling behind the gladius ;) ), Doberman wags his tail and turns away from the light, and silky terrier 'assumes the position' on his back for a tummy rub (Gladius definitely made that take down ;) ).

3. Gladius V the significant other: She closes her eyes, I let it rip, and she loses balance. Woohoo! I get the evil eye, a stern talking to that I should know that she's prone to vertigo, and if I can make her QIII do the same :).

4. Gladius V Uncle: With surprise on my side I gained exactly 4 seconds from his hesitation, and then with closed eyes he tried to move in on the light. Later with no surprise: He blocked his eyes with a hand and moved in for the kill :) Problem was I was holding the gladius away from me and gave him a kick up the bum as he ran past ;)

5. I'm showing it to one of the guys at the range. I put it on low mode and turn it on. The guy goes "thats nice." I then put it on strobe before handing it over. Of course what does he do? For some unknown reason he actually pointed the light at himself point blank and let rip. Needless to say it was a 'shock and awe!'

Last edited: