flashlight suggestions for marine / boating

Lightmania

Enlightened
Greeting!

I am looking into getting a flashlight as a permanent equipment for my 33 ft sailboat. On board, I currently have a decent spotlight, "D" 3-cells Mag, a 2 x AA waterproof flashlight (similar to this light but incan version: http://www.pocketlights.com/teknolite.asp ), some 4 x "D" lanterns and a bunch of tri-way headlamps. Plus the boat also have the 12-volts system that run on the boat's batteries and 110-volts system when hooked up to shore outlets so there's plenty of lights on board for any occasions.

However, I want to swap out the Mag with something else more suitable for the marine environment. The Mag that I kept in the boat have survived the environment very nicely but, for some reasons, it is the least-used flashlight of all. I suspect that it had to do with its large size and its inablity to stay in one spot when one put it down somewhere to free up the hand. Still, this Mag probably will stay onboard as a backup.

The ideal flashlight need to be able to put up with the tropical heat, the saltwater, and long sit-time in between outings. Long runtime has priority over brightness. I already have the spotlight for that. I prefer LED but incan is fine with me as long as it has a long runtime. Also, and this is important one, the price can't be more than 30 to 50 bucks -- it need to be replaceable in the event that it decided to go overboard.

I am looking into the Pelican PM6 3330 (the yellow one for easy spotting) as a possible substitution.

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=3330

I'm not too thrilled with its need for CR123As as I preferred the more available batteries; AA, AAA, D, etc and I think it might be too bright but I am not sure about that. Despite all that, I'm willing to consider this the light because I like its plastic body, the clip, and its long runtime.

Since I am still fairly new to this wonderful world of flashlights and still exploring and since there were little on this subject here, could anyone here suggest other possible candidates or share their experience with flashlights that worked well for boating?

Thanks!

Lightmania

Last edited:

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
For a long "sit time", I would definately go with the CR123's, they can sit unused for 10 years!! They are a little expensive retail but SF sells them for about $21 for 12. The runtime of an LED combined with the lithiums is a great combination The PM6 is a great light. I have the 2230 and I love it. I did have some minor problems with it but I got them all fixed for free from Pelican. You cant beat their warrenty.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want ok/useable brightness with a long runtime and not have to worry if it goes overboard, go to your local Wal-Mart and see if they have the Coleman Water Activated flashlights. These will run around 8 bucks and it's 2D sized.
Plastic, floats and has two flat metal sensors on the side of the body that will activate the light if it hits water. (You can actually trigger it by placing your thumb across the sensors too)

Use this light as a host and pick up a PR SMJLED bulb to stick in it.

I think Lambda lights might be sold out currently so maybe someone else can chime in and recommend a place to purchase them. The SMJLED is pretty inexpensive.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my Sister an Eternalight ergo-marine for her boat, she is more than happy with it.
Ergo-marine
I am a big believer in these lights, and you want to talk about runtime.. :grin2:

Lightmania

Enlightened
Wow, great suggestions, thanks guys! I'm looking into each suggestion now.

Lightmania

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
Am a great lakes boater and I think one of the best all around lights is the streamlight propolymer 4AA. You can use lithium 2AA's in it, its plastic, good throw and decent beam etc. I do have several others on my boat (fenix L2P, 3 D incandescent, and a few others). But I deliberately got the streamlight for the boat.

Illum

Flashaholic
Streamlight Propolymer 4AA or 3C, waterproof, impact resistant, regulated output with a cheap price.:grin2:

for a sit time under the hot sun, might want to stow them in the cab [if you have one] and or a cooler.:grin2:

there are tons of other branded lights, like underwater kinetics, etc...but the propolymer 4AA is a personal favorite:grin2:

3mw

Newly Enlightened
Is their a big difference between the SL 4AA and 3C?

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone's familiar with the eLED Plus, feel free to share. I've been eyeing that myself.

Lightmania

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies and welcomes! There were a lot of good suggestions.

GWC3 said:
But I deliberately got the streamlight for the boat.

That is what I am doing here, too -- I'm trying to find a light just for the boat. Also, another fact I forgot to mention; I live in a hurricane-prone area so I am keeping that in mind when I go through this selection. This will be a light I will bring home from the boat if there's a hurricane coming. Because of that, I like FireFighter05's suggestion and the following lights:

Pelican PM6
UK 4AA eLED
SteamLight 4AA

I'm sure each one of these lights will do very well. But there were a lot of votes for the SteamLight 4AA. The hurricane season is almost over so I have the time to research and make a selection.

I dive, too so the dive lights suggested here were mighty interesting, hehe!

This is bad for my wallet... cuz I want to buy them all. :D

Lightmania

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightmania said:
I dive, too so the dive lights suggested here were mighty interesting, hehe!

This is bad for my wallet... cuz I want to buy them all. :D

Lightmania

Since you are a diver, take also a look at the Barbolights. They costs more, but are much better.

Best regards

____
Tom