A new light for my "Better Half"

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I am looking for suggestions for a great pocket able light for my fiancé. It needs to be fairly small and easily replaceable should she loose it. I need one that can use a red filter because she spends a lot of time in a dark room developing film. It also needs to have great runtime. I like 123 batteries but I'm not stuck on them. My first choice would be a G2 with a 3W LED drop in and a red filter. I am also considering an E1L/red filter combo. This will be a Christmas present so I have some time to shop around and figure it out. I just wanted some opinions from other people.

Thanks!!

Dave

gomustangs

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased an E1L for myself. . .and my lady friend ended up with it. It's actually been a pleasant surprise as she loves the light and it is now an EDC tool for her.

'We' just got it last weekend, so we haven't quite run the batteries down yet.

ETA: For your SO, would it be better to get her a headlamp like a Petzl?

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
No, a headlamp would not be practical. She wants something she can drop in her pocket or purse. I like the E1L but she does have a tendency to not keep up with things and the $100 is not that appealing :)...

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Perhaps the Fenix L0P? I bought my wife a MillerMod 3-stage L0P, and she loves it. It's so small that it disappears in her purse, and the beam's great - a nice even flood with surprisingly good throw. Even during times where I don't have a flashlight (heresy, I know), she's got one for the both of us!

- FITP

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriend uses a HDS U60. She clicks through the levels much faster than me. Primary to max (click-click-press), I've never seen anyone faster than her. Despite of this she has never managed to do the 10 click-press to enter the brightness menu on her own so I had to set the light up for her. :thinking:

Do consider battery life when buying a light for your partner. Mine always forgot to charge the battery. Had to remind her every week.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Somy Nex

Enlightened
that new L0P Special Edition might be a nice one. the benefit being that it'll use common batteries and be easier to maintain.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
FireFighter05 said:
Hello all,

I am looking for suggestions for a great pocket able light for my fiancé. It needs to be fairly small and easily replaceable should she loose it. I need one that can use a red filter because she spends a lot of time in a dark room developing film. It also needs to have great runtime. I like 123 batteries but I'm not stuck on them. My first choice would be a G2 with a 3W LED drop in and a red filter. I am also considering an E1L/red filter combo. This will be a Christmas present so I have some time to shop around and figure it out. I just wanted some opinions from other people.

Thanks!!

Dave

Another idea if you really like red. Give Peak LED solutions a call - I was asking them about red lights and they said that they will be getting more red Luxeons in soon. You could get a Pacific or Baltic in your choice of material with whatever output seems appropriate. (a friend of mine is an amature astronomer and it seems like a good Christmas gift)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1L/red filter combo is not a bad choice. For less money you can think about a Fenix L1T with a modified rubber-lens-holder from a Minimag (This set with a clear, red, green and orange plastic window)

Best regards

_____
Tom