Vindicated At Last. ( A Hospital story.)

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the Maternity Day Assessment Unit at the hospital yesterday with the wife when suddenly water started pouring through the ceiling at one side from the floor above. One of the nurses jumped up and switched off the lights as they were starting to fizz. A large inside room, no windows, loads of pregnant worried women sitting around plugged into monitors, as you can guess, pitch black. Except.....when I left in the morning, expecting lots of sitting around I had filled the pockets with things to 'fiddle' with.

Out came the Raw NS from the belt holder, full beam bounce off the ceiling to light the room a bit to stop them getting panicky. With the Orb NS on the table, out came the Orb Raw from my pocket, Fenix LOP on the keychain. Ultrafire 602C from the rear pocket and the wife dug out her Fenix E1 on her keys. ( "I don't need that" she had said a week ago when I put it on there....) Onto a chair, pushed a ceiling tile up at an angle so the water was only coming out in one place, found a plastic bin to catch it, etc....

As for my wife who just that morning had said once again " Why do you need so many torches ??? ", she was standing there, E1 in hand, with the nurses and other expectant mothers saying " Isn't your husband useful. I wish mine was as competent as him. What a hero. Aren't you lucky to have such a handy husband, etc, etc, etc...

THANK YOU GOD.....

I guess I'll not be having so many complaints from the wife when she sees another parcel hit the doormat in future. Only downside, one of the nurses came up to me and seeing the tiny 602C running on a 3.6v lithium cell and throwing a good spread of light she said " Is that a Maglite? "

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
(better not to mention the candlepowerforums T- shirt found plugging the upstairs toilet)

I know you'd never do that,

:thinking: ........ :goodjob:

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
You'll always remember that you were there, bringing a little light the day the Hospitals' water broke. :laughing:

Way to shine, Cliff

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't get excited about much of anything anymore...

But I still LOL at stuff like Cliffnopuss typed!!!

I'd LOVE to save the day with my lights... But while all my coworkers KNOW how usefull they are, I'm still the only one that EDCS a light (and a usefull largish knife).

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has got to be the funniest post (the OP) I've read in a long time. Awesome story, and skillfully delivered!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonderful story. Wish I had more of those to tell, or more specifically, I wish I had some where the recipient of a light I gave them gets into a situation, the light saves their bacon, and they come back to tell me that they now believe.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went back today. Turns out that some chap on the roof had to empty a water tank for maintenance. He found an old unused waste water pipe junction and decided to pump the tank water into it. Turns out there was a reason it was unused, It had been cut through half way down an internal wall.
Only thing that worried me was when I was underneath the leaky ceiling tiles getting the water to run out in just one spot, one of the nurses said..
" The birthing pool is above here, perhaps it's running out of there."

Urghhhhhhh.

( A second later I realised that it was clean water. )

Till Tuesday I thought that this sort of thing only happens to others. Keep your lights on you, someday it could be you.

Still feeling chuffed about it. ( For our Yank friends, chuffed = pleased )

Last edited:

Latest posts