Who is still buying LED upgrade kits for the MiniMag?

pilou

Enlightened
If you want a dim but long lasting LED mod, I guess a Nite-Ize will do for $4-$6. But if you want a nice bright Luxeon upgrade, such as the TerraLux Ministar2, expect to pay for it as much as what a better and new LED Mini Mag costs. So what would be the point? Am I missing something?

For the larger mags, the $20 LED upgrade by Mag makes sense compared to the ~$35 LED Mag 2D cell.

Any comments?

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I think the LED upgrades are languishing on dealers shelves, simply not cost effective. The UV upgrade is a different story though.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nite-Ize is a reasonable option for creating a long runtime flashlight, if you have a MiniMag laying around not being used.

fireboltr

Enlightened
has anyone tried
http://zbattery.com/tle-5.htm

lowest rpice i found and great service
i had mine 2 days after purchase :rock:

one more question
has anyone else modified the stock "button" in the minimag??
the little button that says do not remove i cut the ring off and sanded it down to the lower part and the tle-5 seems ti fit in the head beter allowing the head to be screwed down a couple more milimeters and making the head wobble less noticable :whistle:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I got the white LED Nite-Ize and it's a definite improvement, but still doesn't get much use. Been tempted to get a red LED one. Noticed the colored ones are sold at ****'s Sporting Goods at a somewhat inflated price. Has anyone tried the red Nite-Ize?

Geoff

pilou

Enlightened
I am not sure how this thread switched in part to where to find the Ministar2? I am certain we all know of at least 3-4 places where we could buy it. My point is that it costs at least $20+S&H. At that price, I can get a brand new and much brighter LED 2AA Mini Mag. So it makes no sense to go for these upgrades, unless they drop the price to say $10.

C4LED

Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
I got the white LED Nite-Ize and it's a definite improvement, but still doesn't get much use. Been tempted to get a red LED one. Noticed the colored ones are sold at ****'s Sporting Goods at a somewhat inflated price. Has anyone tried the red Nite-Ize?

Geoff

The red ones are good. Mine sees a lot of night time use. It's reported that the red ones have a 20 hour plus run time without diminishing much if at all (drop down happens after that). I haven't gone through a set of batteries with mine yet.

There are a couple of threads out about them on CPF.

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
SMJLED or Wahwang............

way better than Nite Iyz and cheaper than terralux with same performace IMO.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the drop in's are gonna have a hard time surviving now that the MagLED is out there. Considering the MagLED is brighter and has better runtime.

spyderknut

Enlightened
My 3 kids all have MiniMags with NiteIze LED and tailcap clickies. Each kid got a light with color of choice. Long battery life is a must for a kid's light and their night vision is so good anyhow, it is plenty bright.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to upgrade my MiniMags until manufactures Like Fenix, and a few others including
M@G introduced well built affordable Led 2AA lights, now I just cant be bothered as there is so much to choose from.