flashlight for oil heat service

oilman77

Newly Enlightened
I recently came upon this board and was wondering what light would you suggest for a service tech?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any good quality single luxeon led headlight of 1 watt or more should provide ample light and leave both hands free for working on the equipment.
The Princeton Tec Apex and EOS models are highly rated as is the Petlz Myo XP model.

You will find a wealth of information on headlights for work in this section of CPF.

By the way, welcome to CPF. :wave:

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I really miss my guess the work will be close up and almost any decent light will give you enough working light. What you will need is something in LEDs with long runtimes since you are likely to use them a lot.

I would suggest a good headlamp (any decent dual 5MM LED cluster like the Brinkman 3 LED light would give enough light and decent runtimes for hands free work), plus a hand light with long runtime like the Inova X1 or something like a MJLED modded Minimag with real long runtimes.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a magnetic attachment for the Peak light's. Also for Inova 24/7. Many
different lights will clip to your hat. Any price range?

oilman77

Newly Enlightened
price range under 70. I need something with good runtime and also good for crawl spaces to make sure I see any critters first I purschased a dorcey 1 watt headlamp, I was looking for suggestions a nice bright light with good runtime. I also have a converted mag 3 watt but it's to big sometimes.

QualityAir

Newly Enlightened
Oilman- If your a repairman like me= pulling gun assemblies, vacuuming heat exchangers, motors, run caps, ic boards, etc.
Stick with ican, for the color rendtion.
just add the price of batteries to the truck/misc. charge.
Biggest problem for me is the control wiring colors

cloud

Newly Enlightened
What about surefire G2 or similar (incan)

Nylotron (plastic body) so should be safer than a metal body, if your working in and around a possible source of ignition or contact with live exposed parts.
although I dont think it is intrinsically certified.

I'm sure there are other brands/models that will fill your needs

just my 0.2c

jernan001

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF.

The Streamlight PP 4AA Luxeon is a good mix between a long throw and general use/illumination LED. I use it for security and maintenance/HVAC work. Also stands on its tail nicely if you need to use it in candle mode. Great for lighting up an area your working on or following the path of some piping to see what goes where. Runs on a variety of AA type batteries.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

Any type of headlamp is great for up close maintenance work. Do some research to decide on what type/brand is right for you. Worth every penny to have your hands freed up to concentrate on the work at hand.

I've needed 2 lights on more than one occassion for what I was working one so a pocket EDC is nice to have on you in case your main light fails or you need an extra light for some reason. Something that you can mouth if need be. The Fenix series or the higher quality Jetbeam MK II are small enough to carry in your pocket, bright enough to work with, multi-light levels and use common AAA or AA batteries.
http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=37c29650e855f1270a14e2e1f3e6b14b

If you get something like the G2 or similar 2xCR123 incandescents, remember to get the rechargeable batteries to save on $$$$. Remember, when choosing between 2 lights, get both.:laughing:

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
At last! Something I know about!

I too work on oil (and gas) burners. Usually not in dark attics and such but still....

I keep some bright stuff and one head mounted light in the truck. I edc a Fenix p1 and the most recent way it came in handy is I had some insulation (rock wool) fall from the top of the burner chamber and obstruct the cone. I pulled the assembly and P1 let me see the problem EASILY.

A good LED tint, such as my P1 will do fine in color rendition too.

A reasonable combo MIGHT be SL 4AA PP 7LED and LUX. 7 LED for flood, LUX to light up anything well!