About Pelican M6 2390

daveman

Enlightened
Is the spring in the tailcap as tight as some other models of PM6? I've read a few accidents of battery failure involving the PM6, and some say it MAYBE due to its very stiff tailcap spring. Does the LED 2390 version have the same problem? I want to know before I buy, thanks.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, the newest pm6 2390s have a less stiff spring in the front end of the light, which allows you to tighten it all the way without a problem- however many may still have the stiff spring.

-david

daveman

Enlightened
You mean some of the previous "batch" still circulating on the market can still have the stiffer spring? I had thought it was the spring on the tailcap that MAY have compromised some of the weaker batteries' structure, not the spring from the front end of the light?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
daveman said:
You mean some of the previous "batch" still circulating on the market can still have the stiffer spring? I had thought it was the spring on the tailcap that MAY have compromised some of the weaker batteries' structure, not the spring from the front end of the light?

well, the batteries touch both springs, so if one is less stiff, there will be less friction when tightening both ends. Oh, and i'm sure you could always cut down the spring if you happen to get a bad one.

-david

vtunderground

Enlightened
The important thing is to remember not to try to tighten the tailcap all of the way down - just snug. I've damaged batteries in my 2390, but I had to crank the tailcap down pretty hard in order to do it.

The tailcap spring isn't nearly as stiff as the spring at the head. I think the point of having two springs is so that the batteries sort of 'float' in the body of the light, that way they're protected from recoil when the light is weapon-mounted.

daveman

Enlightened
Thanks for the tips. Lastly, do you guys know if the 2390 uses a T-bin or U-bin LED?

vtunderground

Enlightened
daveman said:
Thanks for the tips. Lastly, do you guys know if the 2390 uses a T-bin or U-bin LED?

Bin will vary from light to light. (but the 'whitest' beams I've ever seen in an un-modded light have all been Pelicans).

*Retired*
daveman said:
Is the spring in the tailcap as tight as some other models of PM6? I've read a few accidents of battery failure involving the PM6, and some say it MAYBE due to its very stiff tailcap spring. Does the LED 2390 version have the same problem? I want to know before I buy, thanks.

I ran buckets of Surefire cells thru a PM6 with only one minor venting.

I found that the venting issue does not need a spring to occur.

You can find more details here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=124776&page=1&pp=40

daveman

Enlightened
NewBie said:
Thanks for the link, Newbie, but I've already read your thread twice now, which was the main reason I bought a ZTS mini. Thanks again for your hard work, i'm sure a lot of folks were spared of battery accidents because of your efforts.

vtunderground said:
Bin will vary from light to light.
By a whole letter?! I've never heard of any quality LED lights that can't narrow down its bin selection to a single letter. Are you sure?