Dream Theater (Greatest Progressive Band in the planet)

T4R06

Enlightened
Anyone here? Im a big die hard fan since 1992 when heard Images and words album. blows me away! thay are so genius! i went back to back during their world tour in N. America here in CT and last is @ Radio City in New York.

:rock:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you, great band!! I've seen them 3 times, and loved each show. Haven't thought about them much lately, have they put out something new? They change direction a lot... Killer shows! :rock:

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huge fan. I went from Houston to Phoenix earlier this year as they didnt even come through Texas, to see them. They are probably 85% of what I listen to.

Eric, they came out with SCORE, which is a Live DVD and CD a few weeks ago. Its of when they played at Radio City Music Hall at the end of their tour. They are already working on the next album and deciding on what recording label to use.

-C

T4R06

Enlightened
some of DT fans comparing who is the weakest link and mostly telling they are voting for james labrie, hell no!!! he redeemed himself @ radio city music hall when they played Under a glass moon and inocence faded. imagine 1992-94 albums still the same high pitch voice!

and last but not the least, the octavarium song.. audience went crazy when james screams

Trapped inside this Octavarium!
Trapped inside this Octavarium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to be a big fan, but lost interest after SDIT somehow. The Scenes from a memory concert back in 2000 must have been the 6:th best thing I have done so far and I must have listen to that album 200 times without exaggerating.

iced_theater

Enlightened
That's the second part of my screen name. The first is from Iced Earth. I've seen DT play 3 times live but they had to cancel the last show I was going to see because of snow. Been listening to them since '97 or so.

T4R06

Enlightened
I have done so far and I must have listen to that album 200 times without exaggerating.[/QUOTE said:
thats a must to be able to appreciate their music, 1st time i heard their music is weird. until you have "fallin into infinity" listenin to them all over again

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, I thought this thread was gonna be about Genesis or Yes... ;)
I'm very orthodox in my prog, and I'd consider Dream Theatre to be more on the metal side, with bands like Ayreon, Porcupine Tree and Arena.
I had Scenes From a Memory but wasn't real thrilled by it, sadly.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're progressive metal, not prog rock. I'm stuck on Rush, Yes, Genesis, too. :rock:

I've seen dream theatre several times live. It's like some big joke :lolsign: . I saw Queensryche last night... same joke. How about Dungeons&Dragonforce?

Well, there's something for everyone.

They do have chops..., but most bands do.

Anyone listen to Coheed&Cambria? I don't, but saw their show live, and was more impressed by their prog than the bands above.

mchlwise

Enlightened
greenlight said:
I saw Queensryche last night... same joke.

I must not get the joke. :huh2:

I saw Queensryche a couple of weeks ago, and it was the best show I've ever been to. :rant:

Operation Mindcrime is a masterpiece album, and I have hated myself for 20 years for not going to see the Operation Livecrime tour. Now that Mindcrime II is out, and they're performing it again, I wasn't going to miss out.

What other band can write two incredible concept albums, then has the balls to get up on stage and play the ENTIRE ALBUM straight through, while acting it out, take a few minutes, then play the other ENTIRE ALBUM for 3 straight hours of live music, and then still come out for an encore and do "Another rainy night without you" and "jet city woman", all the while sounding as good if not better than the studio recording? :rock:

Amazing. :huh:

/rant :grin2:

Back on topic:

If someone wasn't familiar with Dream Theater at all, what songs would you guys recommend they check out?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone hadnt heard them before, I would go with "Under a Glass Moon" or "Take away my pain" as those are my two favorites. So many songs of theirs are so damned good, its unbelievable. Scenes from a Memory is such a good album that I cant let someone not hear that.

Obviously anyone has their own opinion about any band, but how can you dislike one because you believe they are classified in the wrong category? Dream Theater is composed of some amazingly talented players. I personally dont see them as a metal band so much, but more rock. (Progressive of course) I will agree that Train of Thought was a harder, metal album, but that was something the members of the band wanted to do at that time. Octavarium went right back to a original sound. But thats part of this style of music, changing it up some each album. Who knows what the next album will sound like.

And whats the big joke about seeing them live? I have now seen them twice and thought they looked like any band playing on stage, just much better than the opening bands(Gigantour). The only thing that made them suck and the Evening with in Phoenix I went to earlier this year was the sound system in Dodge Theater...horrible, but it was still a great time.

-C

T4R06

Enlightened
yeah train of thought was the dark side of DT. so heavy.
my all time fave is (awake) "lifting shadows of a dream" "inocence faded"

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
We have a completely LOUSY sound sytem here at work...

But DT 'Under a Glass Moon" and "Take Away my Pain" sound like something that would ROCK in my truck!

I shall try to get some of this stuff at home!

edit> Once upon a time I had a thumb drive... it would be helpfull about now!

Last edited:

tdurand

Enlightened
I'm a huge fan going back to '89 with WDADU. I worked at a college radio station and was privy to an early release of YTSE Jam. I fell in love right then and there. I've been a fan ever since seeing them in concert close to 25 times now. My first show was a rinky dink bar with about one hundred other people. If you've ever seen the video for Pull Me Under that's basically the view I had back then. Thing of the past now but they've rocked every show to this day.

I don't think there's another band out there with the caliber of talent DT has. I mean Jordan Rudess in Juliard at age 9! C'mon! Octavrium is my favorite song with Change of Seasons a close second. That contious fingerboard he plays will change music forever.

DT Rules!
:rock:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I don't like them. Perfect musicians, but the music is cold and lacks a sould, it is dead. Music is more than just good instrumentalists that show their powers. Apparently they didn't get that part.

BUT ... I have to admit that "Pull me under" is a blast :D

bernie

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
I don't like them. Perfect musicians, but the music is cold and lacks a sould, it is dead. Music is more than just good instrumentalists that show their powers. Apparently they didn't get that part.

BUT ... I have to admit that "Pull me under" is a blast :D

bernie

For once we part ways, my friend. DT ( and QR ) may be chasing Pink Floyd, but they are making their own way. There is much to enjoy with both of those bands. Music, like lights, is subjective... :wave:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
T4R06 said:
main influence of portnoy is this guy.

Yeah, I just had to let that other guy know that.
It's crazy, he's said he never practices either. Must just be one of the born with abilities. He spends all his time riding motorcycles and usually rides them to the gigs instead of the tour bus.

Just glad he decided to stick around with all the trauma he went through over losing his wife and daughter. He wasn't sure if he was going to there for awhile.

Latest posts