Camping trip lights

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
This was a couple of weeks ago, right before my flashaholism overwhelmed me to buy more surefires... But anyways, a couple of friends and I went camping at silverwood lake (small and crouded but it was alright) and this was my arsenal.

From left to right... L4 Lumamax, (grape street) Maglite 3x AA LED, Tovic (Fifthunit, sturdy light), Glittra (28 LED from fifth), BLIMP 7W flashlight (fifth), Coleman lantern, 100 LED flood, crappy 2-3 lumen coleman lantern

In my pocket was my Fenix LoP and a "free" button LED light from lighthound.

Overall, these lights worked very well. My three friends, of course, thought I was crazy for bringing THE ONLY LIGHTS WE HAD. They didn't have a single light on them or in their car. At night... everyone had a flashlight, I even had them messing with the "throw" of some of them. It's nice to hear, "Damn, that's bright." Good times. :rock:

robinhood4x4

Newly Enlightened
I'm starting to be a minimalist when it comes to camping. It's just too much work to pack the whole house into the truck every time I go camping. I'm almost to the point of not taking a lantern if my wife doesn't come along.

Plus it seems a little more hardcore if you don't need all the creature comforts. All I need are a couple bagel dogs from costco, a hot engine, sleeping bag, ground mat, and a cooler of soda.

But then again, it depends on who I go with. Sometimes we'll pack the whole kitchen and try to out do each other when it comes to cooking.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi Shadowbuds,

If you do not already own a Headlamp, it might be worth considering.

I own a Princeton Tec EOS and find it to be highly useful, and on low it has great run time.

Hope that helps,
John

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never go camping without my trusty Eternalight Ergo x-ray. I just make sure to turn on the little internal LED so it's easy to find in the dark. I also like to bring my CMG Infinity Ultra on a lanyard and have it around my neck. Of course I also have to bring a thrower, like a Mag 3D (used to be incan, but now a MagLED). Then there's of course whatever lights I feel like playing with....I mean using.

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
I have a cheap little headlamp from fifthunit, it lights up enough when working on things for soldering ect. "Camping" consists of sitting around a fire pit, we don't do much other than that. If I may ask, what use do you have with your headlight? It seems more of a burden if you're just sitting around a camp fire. I like to light my path with my L4 when nature calls, just to scare away any little creatures that will creep me out when the light is off.:mad::mad::mad:

EDIT: I'm sure "camping" is a lot different in my perspective than most of anyone. Camping is just relaxing in the wilderness w/o any worries :grin2:

Last edited:

Sixpointone

Enlightened
shadowbuds said:
I have a cheap little headlamp from fifthunit, it lights up enough when working on things for soldering ect. "Camping" consists of sitting around a fire pit, we don't do much other than that. If I may ask, what use do you have with your headlight? It seems more of a burden if you're just sitting around a camp fire. I like to light my path with my L4 when nature calls, just to scare away any little creatures that will creep me out when the light is off.:mad::mad::mad:

EDIT: I'm sure "camping" is a lot different in my perspective than most of anyone. Camping is just relaxing in the wilderness w/o any worries :grin2:

Hi Shadowbuds,

I myself personally like the security of knowing I have a headlamp with me, just in case I might need it.

I also think it comes in handy should you need to set up a tent or such, need light, and might be alone.

At the end of the day, as I say for me, it is likely more a conveniance than an absolute need.

Hope that helps,
John

robinhood4x4

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the convenience of having a head lamp. When I get into camp, a lot of times it's around midnight so I have to set up the tent, unpack the truck, etc. Most of the time the neccessity of camping is because I fly fish or rock crawl so often I get back into camp after dark.

I've got a little 4 LED zipka but I now prefer a good luxeon.

Also, one more tip, in some camp circles lots of lights around the campfire is frowned upon. For ambiance, the only light should be coming from the campfire and the occasional trip to the tree.

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
robinhood4x4 said:
I'll second the convenience of having a head lamp. When I get into camp, a lot of times it's around midnight so I have to set up the tent, unpack the truck, etc. Most of the time the neccessity of camping is because I fly fish or rock crawl so often I get back into camp after dark.

I've got a little 4 LED zipka but I now prefer a good luxeon.

Also, one more tip, in some camp circles lots of lights around the campfire is frowned upon. For ambiance, the only light should be coming from the campfire and the occasional trip to the tree.

Noise was the main polution that was around us. Three in the morning and you can hear people screaming with laughter and banging on stuff... Anyways, do you guys keep it on your head or do you wear a hat? I have a cheapie headlamp and it's not the most comfortable on my bare head.

robinhood4x4

Newly Enlightened
Mosquitos love me so I always have a wide brim hat on when camping. On the other hand I've used my headlight when working on vehicles in the garage without a hat and it fits just fine. I have a cheap luxeon headlight where all of the weight is in the front and it's heavy. This one's not so comfortable, it doesn't feel balanced. My other, better lights are lighter and feel much better.

The one down side to a headlamp is, depending on the time of year and location, they can attract bugs straight to your face. In that case, a bright lighting source away from everybody comes in handy.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to check out a two stage tailcap for the L4. I usually use my L1 for camping. Low is just right for navigation and you still have high if needed.

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
I really want a two stage tailcap. I mean badly, BUT, of course there is a but, i've grown to my E2D tailcap. I love the ability to bounce my L4 off the ceiling, I don't think I can ever go back to that tailcap. Does anyone have any pictures of this two stage tailcap? I've heard of adding a resistor but i'm not that capable... (yet)