What compares with the Surefire G2 in its price range?

cutlerylover

Banned
Hey guys, I was lookign at the Surefire G2 Nitrolon...I am lookign to get a flashlight soon but I am on a strict budget (I spend all my money on knives, lol) Anyway...I was wondering what other flashlights (other brands and models) are just as good if not better than the G2 in the under $40 price range...I am up for ANY kind of flashlight, I do not really care too much about run time, I am just looking for the brightest light...

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
For something that is very similar the Brinkman Maxfire can be had at Target for $17. It is at least as bright (if not brighter) than the G2 and is almost exactly the same size as well.

If all you want is brightness the Princeton Tec Surge is VERY bright! At least twice as bright as a G2 if not more. It also costs around $25 from various dealers on this site.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Depends I guess what you mean by "as good or better".
The SF G2 has the most incredible ability to mix and match with other SF parts (and a few other parts). I am not aware of any light in that price range that can do that.
You could put a KL3 or KL5 on it or a KT1. If you wanted to you could get the AN14 and run a B65 rechargeable cell,more fun is to get the AN14 and use 3 123's and a spacer to use the P90 and P91 lamps/with KT the N2 is nice. What other brand has those options?
Topper :)

Last edited:

saltwater

Newly Enlightened
The Huntlight FT01 is about the same size and has about the same output as the G2. It uses a 3 watt led and will run at least 2-3 times longer than the G2 on a set of batteries. An added plus is that you can run the FT01 on a 18650 li-ion rechargeable battery and you won't ever have to worry about changing out the bulb later.

cutlerylover

Banned
Thankls A lot guys for the replies!!! I was just trying to lay out my options on a cheaper flashlight thats nice and bright...I will look into the ones mentioned, I appreciate it!

Topper

Flashaholic*
saltwater said:
The Huntlight FT01 is about the same size and has about the same output as the G2. It uses a 3 watt led and will run at least 2-3 times longer than the G2 on a set of batteries. An added plus is that you can run the FT01 on a 18650 li-ion rechargeable battery and you won't ever have to worry about changing out the bulb later.

I have been looking at the Huntlight line up and I will likely get one but,
I don't think it has the" lego effect" that sure fire has.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
Put the same effort you put into buying knives into buying a light and you should be ok.

I used to buy a lot of knives and have a few myself, but over the years i find that i use a good flashlight more of the time.

The G2 was my first light and now i am using it over my 6P.

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
Thanks for the advice! I find I use knives everyday, but I almost never need a flashlight, this would be for personal use around the house and such, maybe kept in the car just in case...thats why I don't want to spedn that much on one, Im affraid if I get a REALLY good flashlight that I will not want to use it as to not damage it, and I will have a collection of safe queens like I do knives, lol...

the fuzz

Enlightened
have have G2 and streamlight 4aa 1 led torch
Hands down get the Streamlight. Much cheaper, and it out throws the G2 with a great beam
. Wonderful led light. .Its cheap with common used batts, regulation up to 3 hrs.

Id choice this 4aa instaed of a g2 any day

cutlerylover

Banned
Oh man now I gotta get both, lol..Thanks for the reccomendation! I migth just end up spending all my money on flashlights now and have to hold back on the knives for a little bit...

maxilux

Enlightened
I will not compare to the G2, the SL PP4AA Luxeon, the Scorpion, the new Pelican are all better than the G2.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
maxilux, we ned to clear up one thing for the masses!

There is nothing WRONG with a G2 (or P6 or any 2 cell 123 incandescent SF).

BUT! The P60 LM in the G2 will be dark (or extremely dim) in 1 hour of use. It has pretty nice light for most of that hour.

I don't know which Scorpion you refer to... my buddy has an incandescent scorp and the beam leaves a LOT to be desired! It also is only good for + - one hour.

Ditto Pelican. I don't know which model, but the incandescent again has a pretty nice beam that lasts about an hour.

The SL 4AA PP LUX is in a completely different class. It uses 4 commonly available AA cells. It has (at least in my case) a REALLY nice beam, with spot/corona/spill that allows me to see everything a P60 incan will show me. That kicker is, it will be just as bright 4 or more hours after it starts!!!

It isn't nearly as small as the 2x123 lights, but it does have a decent size and shape for back pocket carry....

It doesn't actually compare to a G2 that well. It leaves it for dead in performance however!!!

maxilux

Enlightened
Please compare the G2 to an Streamlight Scorpion:

- lower output
- lower brightness
- better design ??
- replacement bulb ?

....... and much more

One is better by the the G2, the name, thats all in my opinion

Topper

Flashaholic*
The overlooked feature of the G2 in this thread is the "Lego Factor" none of the other lights has near the options available. Not just my opinion it is a fact.