Coolest best EDC 1 of kind possible?

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
Just wondering :

If I wanted to get the absolut best EDC (1 or 2 batteries) torch possible (in existance :drool: )

Custom HDS - best possible LED tuned to my spec.
ARC?
McGizmo?
Orb?
...?

It should be original design (i.e not modification to a surefire...) multi-stage, maybe some exotic metal or engraving, Labeled as a one of kind,
have the absolut best LED possible...

What other features could be asked for?

Who could/would make that?, and what should it be ?
What would be the approximate cost?

Just wondering ..... for now :)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it definetely wouldn't be an ARC or an ORB. The first is way too dim and the second is unregulated and doesn't have anywhere near long enough runtime on high.

I would say either an HDS or a Mcgizmo would be pretty much the best EDC out there. An HDS modded with a UXOJ emitter would be pretty much the best available at the moment.

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
You're leaving so many gaps open! Are you looking for anything with good run time? Are you looking for something with extreme brightness but moderate run time? You can get many lights that are super bright but their run time is in the gutter.

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
In HDS case it would be extreme brightness at max, as there would be many other levels to choose for runtime....

I would presume there are better LEDS (I am sure very rare) then U--J, I believe U--H LuxIII exist if not better?

thk

Newly Enlightened
The only thing I can think of that might be close to being unique might be the mokume gane FF3. Since it'll be one of fifteen, it isn't a complete one off but depending on the process, I don't think any of the mokume gane FF3s will look alike. At least it'll have the "exotic" material you're looking for.

cy

Flashaholic
I'm bias of course, but the Coolest/best EDC 1 of kind possible was my Li14430/CR2 mechanical three stage, which stays on my neck lanyard almost all the time.

was.. because now greenie has one too.

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
thk said:
The only thing I can think of that might be close to being unique might be the mokume gane FF3. Since it'll be one of fifteen, it isn't a complete one off but depending on the process, I don't think any of the mokume gane FF3s will look alike. At least it'll have the "exotic" material you're looking for.
I am considering it.

FF is a good candidate for the ultimate EDC (1ofkind), it would meet most of my requirements if I could get the *best* LED installed, and maybe upgraded firmware for brighter momentary burst... of course for some extra $$....

and maybe the second body/battery holder to be Damascus steel..... (nice combo with Mokume Gane and Damascus)

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
mossyoak said:
what do you have against a modded surefire?
Absulutely nothing against modded surefires or like.
Just for me they aftermarket mods/improvements (sometimes extremely cool), and not a creation by the original designer/maker.

Maybe if specifically created by Surefire..... yea right.

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
I am not sure I phrazed the original question correctly -

What I mean by one of a kind, is going to a Manufacturer of one of the excellent lights like HDS, ARC, PP, ORB, McGizmo, etc... and asking them to create me one off, probably some modifications to an existing design to keep it simple and reasonable.

Obviously these folks are busy and most will probably just refuse a project like that (probably depends on $$ somewhat too..)

So my question was if some one was to do something like that :
-What to ask for in terms of modifications, assuming I could ask for anything I was willing to pay for and the maker could/would do it. (different metals/or combinations, upgraded LED, different programming,
-And how much would be reasonable to offer....
-What master torch craftsmen have done something similar in past and thus may be willing to do now...

My initial gut feeling, is probably $400 to $1200 is what I would pay for my ultimate torch....That is a fair amount of money for me - I figure if it is from original maker it would keep it's value better if I need to resell...

The reason I want a one off (semi-one off : as it may be just a bit different from current offerings) - I do not know - the idea just appeals to my flashholism :)

Wolfgang_Ludwig

Newly Enlightened
LED Flashlights behave like computers: Today best, tomorrow outshined by a cheap Chinese clone. So don't waste your money today. Buy the Fenix-like lights. Incans have a longer life. My 10year old SF 6P is still uptodate.

Leef

Enlightened
Whatever you pick, if you're considering a titanium body, I'd suggest you think carefully about whether you really want a titanium light. Ti bezel rings are fine, but as to the body:

1) Ti is heavier than Al because most Ti lights (e.g. the PD) are designed as Al and not dimensionally changed to take advantage of Ti's strength to make the Ti versions.

2) It doesn't conduct heat as well as Al, so cooling the emitter isn't as effective.

That said, we do this for enjoyment, so if Ti really gives you that, go for it. :grin2: