Why is a A2 so popular?

jon1996

Newly Enlightened
I do not understand a $150.00 light, that you have to twist the head on with both hands to turn it on, Led's are dim, and a Incan that only burns for 45 mins? so why does this light have such a following? I do not understand
jon:huh2:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do not have to twist the head. Only the tailcap. Very easy to do with one hand. To be frank, the 2-stage SF twisty (A2, L2, L1) is one of the best and most useful switch designs out there.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why so popular?

The quality of light from the incan beam is extremely high. Incans give broad spectrum light, which is much better for color rendition than current LEDs. The A2 incan is regulated with a soft start, meaning that high quality beam is the same for the duration of battery life, and that the bulb lasts a long, long time. The incan beam reaches far enough for the vast majority of normal flashlight uses. The A2 incan beam is about quality of light, not quantity.

The dim LEDs are just right for when you don't need a lot of light and want to conserve battery power.

You basically get two lights in one: a long-lasting, low intensity light, and an extremely high quality bright beam.

Scott

Last edited:

Loomy

Enlightened
It is versatile. It is compact for such powerful versatility. It isn't perfect, but it is good :)

freerdr17

Newly Enlightened
I did'nt know why it was so popular either, Until I got one a few days ago. This thing is awesome!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Several reasons ...

- it has a bright regulated (!) incan beam of high beam quality with good reach
- it is very small for the power
- it has a good low flood secondary beam that will also work should the lamp burn out or the batteries near their end of life
- if offers flood in low level and a far reaching beam on high ... few lights can do that
- quality is top notch in ever aspect
- user interface is KISS and powerful
- it uses lithium batteries with all their advantages

Being a LED guy it took me long to get one. I never regretted it, I am just sad that I didn't get it earlier.

bernie

dyyys1

Enlightened
Wetterman said:
When I need two lights I take two. :)

What if when you took two lights you were really taking the equivalent of three? Also, one of the advantages of a dual stage light is the ability to switch between the stages instantaneously. However, the A2 is so much more than just a dual stage light. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
  1. The last light you'll ever need to buy
  2. Only light in the market with regulated xenon output, meaning no matter how low the battery is, unless its dead your getting full brightness, not the ugly dim orange sickly color
  3. Surefire patented soft start technology for xenon lamps, prevents power spikes during activation and as a result lengthens the xenon bulb life.
  4. Perfect focus, no cheerio [donut hole] or warped dark rings, as all surefires are
  5. Lifetime Warranty, you break it, they'll fix it
  6. Type III Hard anodizing: unless you drop it on concrete, you dont get scraped paint, dings, etc. If you leave your light in your pocket, it wont get scratched by keys.
  7. Different selection of LED color for many possible applications.
  8. A fool-proof tailcap, NO THIS IS NOT A LIGHT WHERE YOU TWIST THE HEAD, THE ENTIRE LIGHT IS OPERATED BY ONE HAND: depress lightly for LED, hard for xenon, you dont have to click once click again, click a third time for different options.
  9. Lock out tailcap [LOTC compatible]: enables you to lock the switch out to prevent accidental activation if you are storing the light
  10. Snug clip, whatever the light should cling on, you betcha it will stay put when you go back to get it.
  11. Lithium batteries: able to perform over wide range of temperatures.
  12. Included high quality lanyard and batteries.
  13. ultra small footprint: less than 14 cm [5.5 inch to be exact] and outperforms a 2D krypton light.
  14. 'NOUGH SAID! GIT YOURS TODAY!

xdanx

Enlightened
Wetterman said:
The price tag suggests that it should be perfect.
smile.gif

You have to pay more than $190 for a perfect light with NO downsides or weak spots. I have only two, both were made by the same person.
grinser2.gif

The A2 is a fantastic light. I just think people should do a little research before they attack a light.

js's thread and Quickbeam's Site are great resources.

Last edited:

marxs

Enlightened
the a2 will not be the best of anything mind you, its not the best at low level lighting (i think its fine) nor will it have the farthest throw, but it handles almost all your lighting needs. i put stress on the word "need"

xdanx: as for the perfect light (my edc), hopefully itll be here in a day or two, then ill be joining the club :grin2:

mark

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Robban said:

After reading that review, I think I am starting to get it. After recently purchasing the L1, I decided that two stage lighting is the way to go for me. Now I have a two stage tail cap on the way for my L4/E2L. I've been looking hard at the L2 and U2, but have hesitated due to the size of these lights. I would have completely dismissed the A2 (mainly due to the run time and lumen output #'s of the incan), but have been considering it since it has received rave reviews from so many highly experienced CPF'ers. Before the above thread, I didn't realize that you have high output throw and low output flood with this light, which is a step beyond multi-level output from the same light. So I'm almost convinced that this might be the next light for me. I have some questions for the A2 owners:

1. Do you find yourself using the LED for most of your tasks, thus preserving the incan when the application calls for its use? If so, does the LED cover a broad spectrum of applications? Also, any idea of how many hours of LED time you get before the incan is no longer supported by the batteries? I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 or 12 hours of LED only use.

2. What do you do with your batteries once they can no longer support the incan? It seems a shame to toss batteries that have 20% life left. Yet it seems equally a shame to carry around a two purpose light that is limited to one purpose due to battery condition. I'm guessing that these batteries are then transferred to LED lights or that you are using rechargables.

Thanks.

Last edited:

win67

Newly Enlightened
Delta447 said:
I'm guessing that these batteries are then transferred to LED lights or that you are using rechargables. /QUOTE]

Is it possible to use rechargeables in the a2?
2 x rcr 123 li-ion or what type?

Jens