Ok, I think I can cross the line and get a real light...

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
So, here's the story, my fenix l1p, has just recently died, and I'm i need for a new edc. I am looking for something which is multi level and uses one or two cells (doesn't matter what type). I prefer to have something other than a fenix, and would like to have an HA, LED light which could run on rechargeable cells (i.e. RCR123A). The price limit would be about $120. It should have a lanyard attatchment or key ring or something and shouldn't be not too big, (something like the size of a surefire digital lumamax at most). As for brightness, something perhaps as bright, if not brighter than about 40 lumens at maximum setting? Am I asking for the impossible? Thanks in advanced, I'm counting on your wisdom on this one :grin2:.

mosport

Enlightened
Hey DM, howabout a HDS B42? They cleared out for $90-$100 earlier this summer but pop up on B/S/T now and then for roughly the same price.

It's rated 42 lumens with 4 presets programmed from 20 brightness levels via the backdoor, rechargeable and primary 123 battery friendly with the option of adding a 2x123 pack, and a spring steel clip with splitring attachment. Christophe is also selling ARC 4+ type clips that fit perfectly and there's lots of other things you can add to personalize this versatile light.

Might be a little too big for a keychain, but a perfect EDC otherwise. Just have to find one now...

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
mosport said:
Hey DM, howabout a HDS B42? They cleared out for $90-$100 earlier this summer but pop up on B/S/T now and then for roughly the same price.

It's rated 42 lumens with 4 presets programmed from 20 brightness levels via the backdoor, rechargeable and primary 123 battery friendly with the option of adding a 2x123 pack, and a spring steel clip with splitring attachment. Christophe is also selling ARC 4+ type clips that fit perfectly and there's lots of other things you can add to personalize this versatile light.

Might be a little too big for a keychain, but a perfect EDC otherwise. Just have to find one now...

OpticsHQ still has them listed as available around middle of the page?
42, 42GT and 42XR along with a Basic60

http://www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/CTGY/Surefire-LED-Lights

*sidesteps the stampede* :grin2:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, can't go wrong with a HDS EDC.

B60's still available at batterystation...easily turned into Ultimate models with the secret "backdoor code" discovered a few months ago...

CFU

iamerror

Enlightened
I would second what others have said here. If you are able to get an HDS, I would go for it. I really like the ability to set your own brightness levels. They have been clearing out there stock since a while ago. On the other hand, you could wait to see what HDS/Novatac has coming out (in November?)

There is an optional lanyard ring you can buy. I have never used one, though. Some people have even modified and drilled a hole in the clip to make it a lanyard attachment.

By the way, do you know how your Fenix died?

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
The LED pretty much fried, or something inside I can't see inside (not the switch), went loose, or both :crazy:

HDS sounds good, but I want to know if there's anything else too. (I always try to keep my options open)

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm going to suggest what I always suggest. An L4 w/Mce2s, or an L2. The L4 w/Mce2s would be my first pick, simply because you can get an E1L body to shorten it up.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Trashman said:
Well, I'm going to suggest what I always suggest. An L4 w/Mce2s, or an L2. The L4 w/Mce2s would be my first pick, simply because you can get an E1L body to shorten it up.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is a Mce2s? BTW, can surefires run on rechargeables safely?

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:

QUOTE=TORCH_BOY]I prefer to have something other than a fenix,[[/QUOTE]

I'd have to say that it's out of the question, I don't have anything against fenix, but their products seem to be lower quality (I'm looking for something around the arc, surefire,hds quality or higher). Their HA and output are also weaker compared to similar lights i.e. jetbeam on 123a and amilite). I'm looking for a "I can trust my life with it" kind of light. Thanks for the suggestion though :).

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
D@rk Messenger said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is a Mce2s? BTW, can surefires run on rechargeables safely?

A McE2s is a McGizmo dual level switch. It will turn you L4 (or other e series lights) into a two stage light. The L4 can definitely be run on a rechargeable. It will use a single Pila 168s or equivalent (protected 17670). If you chose to use a single cell body (like an E1L body, which will still work with the McE2s!), then the L4 head, the KL4, will work perfect with a protected CR123.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Trashman said:
A McE2s is a McGizmo dual level switch. It will turn you L4 (or other e series lights) into a two stage light. The L4 can definitely be run on a rechargeable. It will use a single Pila 168s or equivalent (protected 17670). If you chose to use a single cell body (like an E1L body, which will still work with the McE2s!), then the L4 head, the KL4, will work perfect with a protected CR123.

Thank goodness for surfire lego :rock:...I still would like to hear about how the maxlite output stacks up against these ones (I"m still a sucker for aa's:whistle: )

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure I will draw the fire of the Fenix fanboys with these comments. I don't care.

Get Any surefire.
An HDS EDC will fit the bill very well.
You can't miss with either of these choices.

I am happy to see that you have seen the light so to speak.
In the coming months we will see more and more of this type of thinking and action.
The switch to real lights is an important one.
The bottom line here is this:
There are no free rides in the flashlight world.
You get exactly what you pay for.
Some lights are better than others.
Surefires are better than Fenix's. Bottom line.

There are LOTS of cheap crappy lights available. Sort of like cheap shoes. 2 or thre pairs of crappy shoes cost the same as one good pair. I will go for the single pair of high quality shoes any day of the week.
The same is pretty much true for flashlights. 2 or 3 maybe maybe 4 crappy flashlights will cost you the same as a single Surefire. For example a surefire L4(costs $165.00). 3.6 Fenix P1's (a P1 is $45.00) will get you one. It only takes 2 P1's to get you an E1L ($99.00).
Amazing really. A Surefire E1L is a much better flashlight than a Fenix P1 In my opinion.

I say get a SureFire flashlight. I love my SureFire L4 flashlights. They are amazing. A great choice.
Not to mention once you have a surefire you can start playing surefire Legos. Mix and match with surefire parts and others is a whole lot of fun. You simply can't do this with Finix flashlights on the same scale.
Good Luck. Have fun.
Yaesumofo

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Gotta Echo yaesumofo's comments, Add another $50 (what's $50 for your first high end light?) and get a SureFire U2. You can thank me later. Remember, they have a "Lifetime" warranty. That alone is worth the extra $50 :)

You can thank me later :)

Macaw

Enlightened
Please consider the Mclux III PD at about $100 more. Ask Don if he'll install a UV1J or UX1K emitter for you. You then will have climbed to the top of the mountain. Barring that then the HDS EDC either 42 XRGT or 60 XRGT would be my suggestion.

Last edited:

xdanx

Enlightened
Macaw said:
Please consider the Mclux III PD at about $100 more.

Man this site is bad. :laughing:

I have to agree, you should definately check out the McluxIII-PD

But the HDS is also a great choice.

Last edited: