Poll: What do you do to avoid pollution?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Simply a friendly poll, what do you do to conserve energy and reduce pollution? I personally use an evaporative cooler, it's much more efficient than traditional air conditioning but it only effective in dry climates like the climate out here in the garage, er, I mean in Utah.

For the political side of this discussion please go here

remuen

Enlightened
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Ever been lost by reading one of my posts before? Ha. Buckle your seatbelt.

I use nothing by compact fluorescent or LED lighting, all of my windows are dual-glazed and tinted with solar-rejecting film, I have insulated shades on the inside of every window, the South and West windows have fabric awnings over them, the East windows have shade-cloth screens, I have the most efficient whole-house fan available, and I use in the evenings instead of the AC, I have ceiling fans in all rooms that are most used, my water heater has no pilot light, I charge my phones and radios on solar power, I have a solar-powered attic fan and lights, my computer runs off a UPS that is solar powered, I drive an electric car, and have another on order, my biggest electricity use is between the hours of midnight and 7am, I am building a 2.2kw PV array to send some power BACK to the gid during peak times, I combine showers with my wife
grin.gif
, I have a hot water-circulating pump, all powered devices are effectively unplugged from power when "off" (not just left in plugged-in "standby" mode), I have a rechargeable lawn mower and edger, I walk to places within a mile, I ride my bicycle to places within five, I carpool, I drive a 2001 Honda Civic when I need more range than my EV can provide, I recharge and recycle batteries, our household leaves very little "garbage" on the curb on pickup day, I rely on compost for decomposables, I open all windows at night for convective cooling, and close them all before the outside temp climbs higher than the inside, I don't use my AC unless it is an extreme day, and then, only after the peak electricity usage time has passed, I do laundry and vacuum in the morning before peak times begin, I use cold water for laundry, I have a front-loading washing machine, all of my appliaces are maintained, and efficient models, I watch very little TV, I hang my clothes out to dry, I've installed passive vents in the attic and in the garage, I open my garage door manually, I use the microwave to heat food whenever possible, I use a small toaster oven to heat things that aren't big enough to warrant the full-size oven, I have a gas range, dryer and waterheater, I use the neighbor's (solar-heated-and-pumped) pool, all the electricity I do purchase is from renewable sources (guaranteed through certificates), I don't take short trips in the gas car, I don't start the car to move it a few feet, I don't top-off my gas tank, I don't dump oil on the ground, I use a propane grill in the backyard to avoid heating the house, I set the toaster oven outside to avoid heating the house (did I ever mention that we live where it gets HOT?), I only use water during off-peak electric times (our water is all well-water and is therefore pumped), I.... well, I guess I could just go on and on.

This is truly a never-ending process for me. We all have to specialize in something, and mine is saving energy. That said - did you know that it takes about 100 amps to smoke the tires on an EV1?
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Darell does:
garage door manually
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Me too, garage door openers are nifty gadgets though in my opinione...

Darell does:
I don't start the car to move it a few feet
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Either one? Put it in neutral and push it or just leave it where it is?

arab

Enlightened
Originally posted by darell:
I do laundry and vacuum in the morning before peak times begin
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what wifes are for !!!

Opps - Sorry - I know this was the non-political thread!

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Saaby:
garage door openers are nifty gadgets though in my opinione...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
I'll confess to this one. I have three garages, and remote openers on each one of them. I open the two for my shop manually, the one for the cars is opened automatically. Chalk Darell up for one small fib.

Darell does:
I don't start the car to move it a few feet.

And then Ryan asks:
Either one? Put it in neutral and push it or just leave it where it is?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, heck I *always* start the EV to move it. Though I prefer the term "boot" over "start." The gas car I throw into neutral and push. Like when I wash it, etc.

Cutter

Enlightened
Originally posted by darell:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what wifes are for !!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You haven't been paying attention! I *am* the wife.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've seen pictures darell.....Man!.....you are one ugly woman.

Cute daughter though.
grin.gif

Glow Bug

Enlightened
Originally posted by Cutter:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by darell:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what wifes are for !!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You haven't been paying attention! I *am* the wife.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've seen pictures darell.....Man!.....you are one ugly woman.

grin.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll say! Guess who followed me to work today???
grin.gif

WORK.jpg

Cutter

Enlightened
fd54d7f2.gif

Good one Glow Bug. Never thought I'd see something that would make me stop wanting to eat steaks.......but that did it. LOL. That cow picture just won't go away.

Cutter

Enlightened
I always make sure the toilets full before I flush it.....does that count?
grin.gif

Sorry....ok.....back on topic.

I don't do a whole lot short of recycling newspapers, turning the A/C off and using the ceiling fan as much as possible, washing clothes in cold water only. Little small things like that.

I guess one of the problems I have with S.U.V.'s (and don't get me wrong....I like them...and think some people actually need them and get proper use out of them) is that they aren't held up to very strict regulations like cars are. If I'm not mistaken, they aren't classified as passenger vehicles.

I just see so many people driving in them by theirselves....then....when they come up to a water puddle....they slow down to 3 miles per hour....and hold up traffic while they try to drive around it without getting their tires dirty.

It cracks me up when I see this after watching a commercial for the same vehicle climbing straight up the side cliff of the Grand Canyon.

Dan out

Glow Bug

Enlightened
I have 4 kids and a Wife to cart around. Yes, I drive a gas guzzling Suburban. I feel it is safer for my priceless cargo and gives us room when we travel. We live in the middle of the forest so it sees many mud puddles. We are one of few families who do recycle plastic, glass, and paper in our community.

Cutter

Enlightened
I hear ya Glow Bug. My brother has a Suburban as well (for just the reasons you listed above....I liked the Priceless Cargo reference....well put).

I don't have a problem with large vehicles myself or with anyone driving them. I actually like them a lot.

I think the problem is that right now manufacturers don't have the same incentive to make them as efficient as possible like they do with cars. They aren't classified as "passenger vehicles" and therefore don't have to meet the same types of miles per gallon regulations, etc.

I love to see families in these driving around (much safer for the kiddies). It's the single, unmarried, childless driver that about runs off the road to avoid hitting a pinecone with one that cracks me up.

Now, having said all of that....I'd still like to have one.
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
The single person needs to buy a Saab...it's like the perfect car...

A Suburban drag raced today, it came in at 19 seconds at 71 MPH average--keep in mind that faster cars can do it in 11 seconds and break 100...slooooow Suburban.

Want to hear the happiest thing I ever heard? After 2002 the will cease to make the Ford Excursion...man for being just a little larger than a burban it sure had stinky gas milage and weighed a LOT.

If you've got 4 people total to cart around, why not switch to a nice sedan or wagon? I know some real safe ones...ok don't answer, this isn't the place for it.

I put my computer in standby at night, it takes up about as much power as if it were on but I don't have to waste all the power booting up
wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Cutter - I'm impressed that you do the small things, actually. If every family did two or three "small" things, we'd be in great shape. Each little bit counts, and if you can multiply it by many millions - it makes a huge difference. Now, you take everybody that does a few small things, and add just one more...

Cutter

Enlightened
I agree Darell. These are things that really don't take any extra time or that you have to sacrifice much for....but millions of people doing them certainly couldn't hurt.
smile.gif

Glow Bug

Enlightened
Originally posted by Saaby:
If you've got 4 people total to cart around, why not switch to a nice sedan or wagon? I know some real safe ones...ok don't answer, this isn't the place for it.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you drove on the roads I drive on just to get home, you'd understand:^) Plus I like the visibility of being higher. Lots of deer gets hit on roads here and higher is safer if one does run out in front of you.

Put low flow showerheads on when I built my house and over insulated it too.

Glow Bug

Enlightened
You are sick Cutter!!! Reeeealy Sick! But, I like it! As far as deer go, I feed them in my yard and they are fun to watch. They taste good too!:) Not out of my yard of course:)

And to make sure I stay ON topic...
We compost all of our vegetable and fruit waste for our garden.