9AN in real life

CAinsurgent

Newly Enlightened
This is my first time posting and I'm really glad I found this site- there is a lot of great info here. Anyway, I just attended the Surefire Low-light Operator/Trainer course and decided to try the 9AN to use as my primary duty light.

A little background behind my choice. The current issued light is the Streamlight SL-20 (the full size aluminum one). I like the strength of its beam and it's easy to handle because of its size, for example, putting it under your arm to do things like writing a cite. It seems to have a pretty good run time though I have not actually timed one- if it gets low, I just trade it for a charged one.

Other people have chosen to buy the plastic version of the SL-20 with the LEDs, which appeals to me because of the lightweight and the reduced light option to use for "non-critical" instances. However, the main light isn't as bright as the SL-20. This all led me to try the 9AN. It also helped that Surefire offered a discount.

So, my question to the users of the 9AN is:

-Does it last as long as advertised?
-Can one of the LED conversions be used on this light?
-Does the V71 holster work all right?
-Do you have any side notes or recommendations for the light?

Thanks in advance!

Chris201W

Enlightened
I have no experience with this light and cannot answer most of your questions, but I can tell you, regarding the runtime question, Surefire's advertised runtime is almost always accurate. I think it's safe to say the 9AN with a new battery pack will last the advertised runtime.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
CAinsurgent said:
So, my question to the users of the 9AN is:

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to CPF! :wave:

I don't have a 9AN but use a 9N (model before the 9AN).

Yes, runtime on a fresh battery for the new light will usually be pretty close to the specs.

No. While the KL7 fits the 8AX rechargeable there is no LED head for the 9AN.

No, the V71 is the speed holster for the M3 and will fit the M3 bezel up or down, but will not work with the 9N. The V40 and V41 are the nylon versions of the holster need (with the V41 being a quick detach metal clip instead of a belt loop). If you are looking for leather check out the V46, V47, and V48. There are also several holster not made by Surefire that fit great.

The 9N/AN is a great light. I've had my 9N for years and it still works well... it was one of my first two Surefires. I would recommend carrying a small 123 powered backup instead of another battery stick. I prefer the LED lights as there is not bulb to burn out (personally I like the G2 with a non-Surefire LED "bulb" but there are a lot of other great options out there.) Also, charge the battery as soon as the beam starts to yellow as you don't have much runtime left.

If you use the light on patrol a fast charge might be good to have (it may or may not have came with the package) as it drastically reduces the charging time needed. Also, if you ever want to use the light for long range applications check out the KT3 Turbohead. While not practical to carry it increases the throw greatly.

Stay safe and enjoy the light! IMO Surefire is the best out there.

-Mike

EDIT: Spelling :)

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The M3 and 9AN bezel diameters are the same. I have no experience or data on how well the 9AN works [bezel-down] in the V71 though.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, do you know if the bezel diameter on the 9AN and 9N is the same? If so I'll have to get out my 9N and V71 and check it out...

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes, the bezel diameter of the 9AN and the 9N is the same but there is less bezel at this diameter on the 9N because of the charging contact so I don't know how well it will it in the V71